3946 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion

5900AF-48G-4XG-2QSPF Config questions.

idiot_wind
Occasional Contributor

5900AF-48G-4XG-2QSPF Config questions.

Greetings All,

I am trying to work up a configuration that will have two (2) HP 5900AF-48G-4XG-2QSFP+ TAA-Compliant Switches.

On the first switch I would like to connect 12 – DL380’s eth0 ports to a VLAN used for general access the server via telnet/ssh.

On the second switch I would like to connect 12 – DL380’s ILO ports.

Each switch will have an IP address that I will be able to access remotely via a secure connection.

My questions are as follows:

1. If I were to create a VLAN on the switch containing the general access connection, is there a way that I can “port forward” from the IP address of the switch to the IP address that I assign to a particular server in my General Access VLAN?
  2. If the above is doable, can I have multiple connections to multiple servers concurrently?
  3. Will I still be able to log into the switch to perform maintenance?
  4. I would have the same questions for the second switch that will be serving the ILO ports knowing these ports will need to be accessed via a web browser?

What I am trying to eliminate is having to request 24 IP address (12 for general access/12 for ILO access) on the external network.

I am guessing that the above is not possible; if it is not could other hardware be used instead of the HP 5900AF-48G-4XG-2QSFP+ TAA-Compliant Switches to satisfy my needs that are roughly the same prices and footprint of the 5900? The 5900 does satisfy my needs when it comes to number of ports, interface type, and speed.

Just on a side note the interfaces described above will not be accessed regularly once the servers are configured. In addition to the “General Access” VLAN and “ILO” VLAN there will be additional VLANS configured which will use different network devices on these 2 switches. Any external connections will be connected directly from the server which needs access to the outside world.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. This is still a paper exercise, no hardware has been ordered as of yet so I have time to make suggestions to get my configuration properly.

Many thanks,

Frank

P.S. This thread has been moved from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to Comware-Based. - Hp Forum Moderator

2 REPLIES 2
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Re: 5900AF-48G-4XG-2QSPF Config questions.

Yes, you do this with reverse NAT.

I'm pretty sure you could do this in Commware5, and Commware7 didn't have NAT in it at all.

(It's possible recent firmware releases of Commware7 have added in NAT - check).

I'm not entirely sure what 3COM call this type of NAT, exactly - one document I have calls it, "Internal Server", so maybe search for that.

idiot_wind
Occasional Contributor

Re: 5900AF-48G-4XG-2QSPF Config questions.

Thank you for your reply, I will follow up as per your suggestion.

Best regards,

Frank