5619 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 7910 missing fan error message.

mekand
Occasional Advisor

Good.

However, from my point of view, FAN1 should be in the lower slot and FAN2 in the upper slot.

Regards.

Andrea

VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

Hi!

Yes.  I actually did the same thing with mine before I found out that there needs to be a second MPU and fan tray to shut off the warnings.

What you are seeing is what I would expect.  At some point you may want to consider adding the second MPU and fan tray so that you have redundancy with the switch fabric and more capacity.  if you don't, that's fine too.  The 7910 will be operationally happy.  :-)

Regards,

David

I work for HPE in Aruba Technical Support
VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

Yup.  I can see your point but... it is what it is. 

Regards,

David

mekand
Occasional Advisor

Yuppy!

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Last minute edit: in my post above I inverted the Slot 10 with 11 thinking that Slot 10 was the lower one in the Chassis...instead Slot 10 is clearly marked as the upper one and Slot 11 is clearly marked as the lower one (reference: Installation Guide)...but, if so, there is something strange in JG843A related Documentation...because Fan Tray installation guide doesn't says explicitly to install the first Fan Tray Slot (Fan Tray Slot 1) on the lowest Slot but say to leave the upper one free (covered):

"When one fan tray is required, install it in the lower fan tray slot. To maintain good ventilation, the upper fan tray slot must have a filler panel installed."

so the first Fan Tray should be placed on the lowest slot necessarily...exactly above the first Switching Fabric Module on Slot 11 leaving both upper slots (Fan Tray and second Switching Fabric Module slots) covered with a dedicated panel to let a correct airflow with just a single Fan Tray (as seen in various pictures)...at this point...that Fan Tray slot (Fan Tray slot 2) is the one that - in Installation guide - is related to the second Switching Fabric Module...so it seems that Installation Guide and Fan Tray Installation Guide aren't coherent about Fan Tray Modules <--> Fan Tray slots pairing...is that possible? Am I misunderstanding anything or am I doing a lot of confusion? gosh...

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

Yes, lower slot first.  I think it helps ventilation for the PSU's.

The important thing is that you insert the fabric tray first and then install the fan tray on top of that.  They then work together as a unit.

Regards,

David