5978 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: A5120 CPU and memory usage

nobiggy
Occasional Contributor

A5120 CPU and memory usage

Hello,

I have a stack of 2 HP A5120 switches and I am a bit concerned about the cpu and memory usage. The display cpu-usage reveals that the utilization is around 26%. The display memory shows that 67% used memory rate with 72mb system memory. I have a stack of 2 switches for a total of 96 gig ports. I only used 17 ports. I opened a ticket with HP and they saif that this is normal and I will not run into any performance issue if I use up all the ports on the switches. I am a bit skeptical. But may be you can share your experience. Thx

8 REPLIES 8
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Did you upgrade the firmware on both switches.  It could be a memory hole being created.

nobiggy
Occasional Contributor

Yes. I send the disaply diagnostic to HP technical support and they said that I have the latest firmware.

Fredrik L├╢nnman
Honored Contributor

5120 and 5500 seems to idle at 25-30% CPU usage, so I wouldnt worry. All stacks I've seen does that too.

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

TJtheone
Advisor

can u run command ''reset recycle-bin" which will clean ur memory

Fredrik L├╢nnman
Honored Contributor

I think that only affects flash (if you've deleted files without /unreserved)

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

nobiggy
Occasional Contributor

Will it disconnect existing sessions?

nobiggy
Occasional Contributor

What type of memory does the display memory command? nvram? or flash? Thx

Fred_Mancen_1
Super Advisor

This behavior is absolutely normal, don't worry. For example, the old 5500G-EI XRN stacks works with similar levels of CPU and memory consumption even without any port connected. This is why the stack runs internal procedures in order to maintain the whole stack synchronized (L2 and L3 informations and so on).

A firmware upgrade may help to decrease these consumption levels, but this status does not represents any risks to your environment.

HTH

Regards,
Fred Mancen