Comware Based
1748287 Members
3157 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: A5120 - No correct default file to boot!

TomV92100
Occasional Visitor

A5120 - No correct default file to boot!

Hello everybody,

I was working on an IRF stack of 5120 and after a move I have 2 of the 4 switches which get this error message :

********************************************************************************
*                                                                              *
*   HP A5120-48G-PoE+ EI Switch with 2 Interface Slots BOOTROM, Version 607    *
*                                                                              *
********************************************************************************
       Copyright (c) 2010-2011 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.
       Creation date   : May 16 2011, 19:07:36
       CPU Clock Speed : 264MHz
       BUS Clock Speed : 33MHz
       Memory Size     : 128MB
       Mac Address     : d07e28c6d47c

Press Ctrl-B to enter Boot Menu... 0
Auto-booting...

No correct default file to boot!

password:

Then the boot menu. I've tried to upload new firmware (impossible as the size is to large), skip current configuration file,... nothing works.

Did you ever see this issue? Do you have any clue on how solved it? Is there any reset to factory settings procedure?

Thanks per advance.

Thomas

6 REPLIES 6
paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Thomas,

The Comware boot loaders have a concept of attributes on the files in flash; use the Ctrl-B menu to find out if your firmware file is set to "main".

Another possibility is that there's actually a faulty flash chip which the power cycle during the move has brought to light. You might get some joy by deleting the main flash file and uploading a new one via xmodem, but this is likely to be a only a temporary fix if the flash is really faulty.
Regards,
Paul
manuel.bitzi
Trusted Contributor

Hi Tom

Bootrom looks fine to me. The best is to format the flash (there is a option in the bootrom menu) and upload a new *.app via tftp (you can use xmodem as well, if you have patience :-) )

br

Manuel

H3CSE, MASE Network Infrastructure [2011], Switzerland
TomV92100
Occasional Visitor

Thank you Paul and Manuel.

@Manuel, do you know which option can format the flash? I didn't have it in the boot menu. When I upload a new firmware (.bin) it said : No enough storage place. But when I list file on the flash, there's nothing...

Best regards,

Thomas

manuel.bitzi
Trusted Contributor

It sounds really like a corrupted flash. The best is to exchange the switch.

br

Manuel

H3CSE, MASE Network Infrastructure [2011], Switzerland
hcpsstsc
Occasional Visitor

I downloaded A5120EI-CMW520-R2221.bin from HP support site but was unable to get it installed onto the switch. The TFTP/FTP/XMODEM service offered by the BOOT MENU does not get the file installed.

The TFTP/FTP server showed that the switch downloaded the file but the display of file on the Flash does not show the .bin file...

Any pointer is greatly appreciated... 

Apachez-
Trusted Contributor

You should be able to delete whatever file is already on the flash with:

delete /unreserved <filename>

Then you will have enough room to upload the firmware of your choice.

After the upload you should point it out with:

boot-loader file flash:/<filename> slot 1 main

and then reboot.

Dont forget the bootrom update aswell depending on which firmware you have uploaded.