1753448 Members
6052 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: A5120 upgrade with 10GbE module

Damir I.
Occasional Advisor

A5120 upgrade with 10GbE module

Quick question since documentation is not clear: Is this modele hotplug upgrade on A5120 48-port switch?

Thx,

damiri

4 REPLIES 4
parnassus
Honored Contributor

It's not clear what is your question: are you asking if you can equip (not upgrade!) your HP A5120 48 ports Switch (presuming it is specifically the A5120 EI 48 ports with 2 Slots on the back, model number JE069A) with a module supporting not only hot plugging SFP+ Transceivers but also hot plugging itself or what else?

If you own an HP A5120 EI Switch (24 or 48 ports, doesn't matter) that has 2 Slots on its back (called MOD1 and MOD2), those slots can be equipped with hot pluggable Interface Cards such as:

• JD367A Interface Card with 2 SFP Slots (so for usage with SFP Transceivers and Cables)
  • JD368B Interface Card with 2 SFP+ Slots (so for usage with SFP+ Transceivers and Cables)
  • JD359B Interface Card with 2 XFP Slots (so for usage with XFP Transceivers and Cables)
  • JD361B Interface Card with 1 XFP Slot (so for usage with XFP Transceivers and Cables)
  • JD360B Interface Card with 2 10Gb-T (RJ45 Copper) ports (so for usage with Cat.6/Cat.6A 10GbE copper cables)

Refers to updated documentations and QuickSpecs to see if those Interface Cards are - currently - the only ones still supported.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Damir I.
Occasional Advisor

Sorry for poorly forming the question :-). Question is: Is module which support 2 x SFP+ hotplug module for this switch? 

Switch: JG237A

Module: JD368B

Thank you.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Yes, it is.

Interface Cards are hot pluggable (documentation is not *so* explicit about that...but statements like "Step 1: Power On the Switch" then "Step 2: Install Interface Cards, if required" are illuminating)...pay attention that there is a specific restriction: when (logical) IRF Port(s) is defined and it uses Interface Card's slot(s) as physical member ports...the Interface Card can't be hot (un)plugged (so it can't be removed/inserted during Switch operation).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Damir I.
Occasional Advisor

TNX.