1753865 Members
7534 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

A5800 Routing Functionality

aali
Frequent Advisor

A5800 Routing Functionality

I have A5800 series switches setup as a core layer and will be terminating an ISP connection directly into those switches.  These connections are ethernet hands-off 100MB per link.

I wanted to combine those links as a layer III.  LACP is very simple at layer 2, but I were to combine both links at Layer III and don't know if it is possible.  I am comparing this at T1 level where you can combine two physical T1 links and configure a Multilink interface.

Is this doable at Ethernet Level with A5800 series switches?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Re: A5800 Routing Functionality

A5800 has a ISP connection to the switch?  Is it Metro Ethernet connection?  How many connections?  Do they reside in the same subnet or different subnets?   You can bond multiple T1s together to load balance.  I have four 2.5 Mbps pairs on Metro Ethernet for 10 Mbps.   They come into a Hatteras device to combine and go out a single RJ45.   A switch can handle ethernet only.  What kind of connections are the ISP handing you?  They should be able to tell you how to combine them or sell you the device to accomplish it. 

aali
Frequent Advisor

It is an Ethernet hand off and we can either configure layer 2 or layer 3 for the 2nd site.  Same subnet so I would like to bundle them together as a layer 3 bridge aggregation or layer 3 route aggregation.  I don't think that HP switches support layer 3 route aggregation anymore so I may need to configure a vlan interface, but don't know if I could enable layer 3 aggreation under the interface vlan.

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

You would use QnQ to route traffic through an ISP to another switch.   You setup a QnQ tunnel from Switch A to Switch B.  Then you can connect each VLAN through another QnQ tunnel through the main tunnel to separate traffic between VLANs.  This is how you do a DR site.   You can do iSCSI (SCSI over Ethernet) through QnQ.  You setup your iSCSI VLAN on both switches and connect the QnQ tunnel off one of the ports.