4853 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Add Port to Existing Bridge Aggregation

CafNetMatt
Occasional Contributor

Add Port to Existing Bridge Aggregation

Hi All,

I currently have a single 5830 and adding a second switch and building an IRF.  When I do, I need to move ports in my existing BAGGs to the new switch.  Firmware version 1115P01 but will be upgrading to 1118P0x.

I've gone through the documentation and can't find anything regarding adding a port to an existing BAGG.  I found one post online (and also discovered this when initially setting them up) that all configurations need to be added to the BAGG after the ports are added (i.e. vlan configurations).

Is there a way to add a new port to an existing BAGG without tearing it down and rebuilding it?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Re: Add Port to Existing Bridge Aggregation

I'm not sure why you get the impression ports can't be added to BAGGs - it seems normal to me, and it's the way the config guide describes it (create BAGG/add ports to BAGG).

- Remove all port security from the port

- configure the port with identical config as the BAGG it is being added to (VLANs)

- add the port to the BAGG

CafNetMatt
Occasional Contributor

That's what I was hoping the response was going to be.

The documentation doesn't cover adding a port after the fact only when first creating it.

So as long as I have the port configuration exactly as the BAGG has it I'm good.

Thanks for the rsponse.

I think the problem I had in the past was that the BAGG was already configured as a trunk  and vlans were configured  and I added the ports to the BAGG without configuring vlan and trunk info.

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

If you do that on a Procurve or a Cisco then it stuffs up the aggregated link.

On Juniper, it won't let you put it in unless you have the config right on the new port.

Can't remember on H3C - best to get the config right before trying to add it anyway.