Comware Based
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there any non-ISSU software upgrades for HPE FexFabric 5930 IRF stack?

GerryOBrien
Occasional Contributor

Are there any non-ISSU software upgrades for HPE FexFabric 5930 IRF stack?

Hello,

Are there any non-ISSU software upgrades for HPE FexFabric 5930 IRF stack? That is, is there ever a situation that a software upgrade requires the all members of the IRF fabric have to be rebooted. We are trying to configure a set of switches in an IRF fabric that allows at least one switch to be up so that there is always a path through the fabric using redundant links.  I've read the 5930 Fundamentals Configuration Guide and ISSU upgrades allow this. I'm just wondering are ther any exceptional upgrades that are not ISSU.

Also, any recommendation of how to provide High Availability and IRF?

Regards,

Gerry

2 REPLIES
peyrache
Respected Contributor

Re: Are there any non-ISSU software upgrades for HPE FexFabric 5930 IRF stack?

hi

sometimes if versions are too old or delta between too high

JY

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Are there any non-ISSU software upgrades for HPE FexFabric 5930 IRF stack?

GerryOBrien wrote: That is, is there ever a situation that a software upgrade requires the all members of the IRF fabric have to be rebooted.

Yes, but - AFAIK - not concurrently...indeed ISSU on IRF allows in service softwre upgrade without disruption.

Rather...if I understood correctly your ultimate worries...another question would be: given an IRF made of 3 or more members, how should be connected (to IRF) a peer device (a Server?) to suffer no traffic disruption during a compatible ISSU?

A situation, if I understood correctly the context, already discussed here.

I mean...from what I've read the ISSU between a simple scenario of two IRF member happens through the IRF master role switchover to the first rebooted slave (which first received the upgrade) then the previous master (now slave) will be upgraded and rebooted too...so, basically, a device which is mutually and concurrently conneted to both members (via a 2 links LAG with LACP, as example) will suffer no services disruption because at any given time a link is always connected to an active IRF member.

ISSU Upgrade steps (IRF: 2 Members -> example here <- also, it falls under the "Examples of using issu commands for ISSU on a dual-member IRF fabric" case on the "Performing an ISSU" HP document):

1. Verify that the IRF Master role member (Switch 1) is actually being used to perform all subsequent operations up to Step 6.
  2. Copy (ipe) upgrade file to IRF Master role member (Switch 1).
  3. On IRF Master role member (Switch 1): verify ISSU work state is Init (ISSU State = Init).
  4. Verify (ISSU) upgrade file compatability
  5. Verify ISSU rollback timer is not in progress (Not Working).
  6. Load Slave member in Slot 2 with new version (ipe upgrade file) --> once accepted the proposed upgrade path, the Slave member (Switch 2) performs a reboot.
  7. Login into Switch 2: verify software version and IRF Status after reboot of Slave member (Switch 1 is still owns the Master role).
  8. Login into Switch 1: perform IRF Master Subordinate Switchover (Switch 2 will become the new Master), concurrently Switch 1 will be upgraded and will be automtically rebooted.
  9. Login into Switch 2: verify software version and IRF Status after reboot of new Slave member (Switch 1 owns now the Slave role, Switch 2 is the new Master).
  10. At the end Switch 1 and 2 are both upgraded and initial Master/Slave roles were finally switched.

Does a device need to be connected concurrently to all IRF Members to suffer no disruption during a compatible ISSU? ...3 members...a 3 links LAG...4 members...a 4 links LAG, where LAG originates from the device and terminates into each IRF member (this falls into the "Examples of using issu commands for ISSU on a four-member IRF fabric" case).

GerryOBrien wrote:I'm just wondering are ther any exceptional upgrades that are not ISSU.

Those listed explicitly as NON ISSU Compatible on each software release notes?