7676 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

BFD MAD at comware switch

Tom18
Occasional Contributor

BFD MAD at comware switch

Hi,

I want to know how working when all IRF-Link disconnected.
I use BFD MAD at MGMT port.

MGMT port is connected other cisco swtich.
When all IRF-Link is disconnected, I can't ssh access both switches by MGMT port's IP address.
Is this working correct?

3 REPLIES 3
drk787
HPE Pro

Re: BFD MAD at comware switch

@Tom18 Hi, what is the comware switch model. You may share the connectivity diagram with configuration, or follow the below document (Section: Configuring BFD MAD that uses management Ethernet ports) and verify if you have configured the devices correctly.

https://techhub.hpe.com/eginfolib/networking/docs/switches/5920-5900/5200-4540_irf_cg/content/index.htm 

Thank You!
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Tom18
Occasional Contributor

Hi, drk787

Thank you your reply!

Model : FF 5945 48SFP28 8QSFP28 Switch

Each management port is connected to a intermediate switch.

## BDF MAD Link Diagram ##

5945#1 M-GigabitEthernet0/0/0 == SW#1 Gi0/1

5945#2 M-GigabitEthernet0/0/0 == SW#1 Gi0/2

I think configuration is correct. It is configured as follows. And it configures the IRF topology.

## config ##

interface M-GigabitEthernet0/0/0

mad bfd enable

mad ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0 member 1

mad ip address 10.1.1.2 255.255.255.0 member 2

When a MAD occurs, all ports other than the management port of member 2 go down.The following log is output on the switch to which the Management port is connected. SW#1 is detecting MACFLAP.

## SW#1 log ##

Mar 1 00:12:20.026: %SW_MATM-4-MACFLAP_NOTIF: Host <mac-address> in vlan 1 is flapping between port Gi0/2 and port Gi0/1

Therefore, I think that SSH access may not be possible. Is this the correct behavior?

drk787
HPE Pro

Hi @Tom18 

Please note that of all management Ethernet ports on an IRF fabric, only the master's management Ethernet port is accessible.

Hence you should be able to SSH to the master management IP.

Excluding a port from the shutdown action upon detection of multi-active collision

By default, all ports (except the console and IRF physical interfaces) shut down automatically when
the IRF fabric transits to the Recovery state.
You can exclude a network port from the shutdown action for management or other special purposes.
For example:

• Exclude a port from the shutdown action so you can Telnet to the port for managing the device

• Exclude a VLAN interface and its Layer 2 ports from the shutdown action so you can log in
through the VLAN interface

To configure a port to not shut down when the IRF fabric transits to the Recovery state, below is the syntax

mad exclude interface interface-type <interface-number>

Also please make a note of the restrictions.

• On the intermediate device, create a VLAN for BFD MAD, and assign the ports used for BFD MAD to the VLAN. On the IRF fabric, you do not need to assign the management Ethernet ports to the VLAN.

• Make sure the IRF fabrics on the network use different BFD MAD VLANs.

• Make sure the BFD MAD VLAN on the intermediate device contains only ports on the BFD MAD links.

For more information about IRF/BFD MAD you may also refer the below configuration guide.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00070799en_us 

Thank You!
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo