5013 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Baseline 2948 IP address not responding

jvrsvw
Occasional Advisor

Baseline 2948 IP address not responding

Hi.

My problem is this, my 2948 switch has been working for the last 6 months, I can access web interface and ping the management IP. Now suddenly I am not able to ping or access the web interface.I connected via console cable changed the IP to auto, it immediately got a new IP from DHCP but I am still unable to ping/access it. I then changed it back to static and still no change.

The switch has VLAN's configured and is working in that aspect. Only thing is I cannot manage it at all.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Jvrs

8 REPLIES 8
Ed Holt
Regular Advisor

I am not 100% sure but I belive that the management ip address has to be an IP on VLAN 1 to be able to ping and manage it.

3Com Certified IP Telephony VCX/NBX Expert
3Com Certified IP Telephony VCX/NBX Expert CCNA
jvrsvw
Occasional Advisor

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I have tested it in both scenarios, from the same IP range as the management IP and from the VLAN IP range. That has not made a difference.

Kind Regards,

jvrsvw
Occasional Advisor

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

jvrsvw
Occasional Advisor

BUMP

jvrsvw
Occasional Advisor

Come on people, I thought this is the place to get assistance, clearly I have come to the wrong place

jlksys

I have been using this device for over a year and repeatedly have this issue. I have been hoping for an update to firmware. None has come.

In addition, to losing the ip addess this switch becomes increasingly unstable over time. After a period of several months, I have to take the switch offline, restore to factory default and rebuild. It works well for a few months and then we start over.

At this point, I have taken the switch out of production and replaced it with the 2 older 2824 models. These have performed very well for the last 3 or 4 years.

I am Currently evaluating Cisco 2960 to replace the 2948

I've seen similar loss of IP address on some of these switches. Connecting to the console and running summary shows that the configuration isn't lost, just the functionality. Resetting the IP address via the command line fixes - but sometimes only temporarily! I've also experienced the IP connectivity coming back.

We've had other 2948s running for years and not show the problem.

Don't understand. Is it related to the ARP table getting full - I notice it is limited to the very small value of 256?

I wish there was a fix, as we have dozens of the things! They seemed such good value for money at the time ... 

PS - latest (Sept 2013) firmware doesn't fix.