4843 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Bootware images

Pauliusp
Occasional Advisor

If anyone would still ever need an answer to this:

To upgrade or downgrade bootware use the bootrom update file flash:/xx.bin slot (0-x) command and reboot the device afterwards. 

Use the .bin software file that is provided by HP in their support website. 

VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

Pauliusp,

That is not necessarily the case.  IF there is a separate bootrom image it is usually a .btm file.  There is no command to force a bootrom upgrade from a .bin image.  Changes in bootrom version will occur when the switch starts up automatically unless you stop it from happening related to a support issue.

Regards,

David

I work for HPE in Aruba Technical Support
parnassus
Honored Contributor

VoIP-Buddy wrote:

There is no command to force a bootrom upgrade from a .bin image.David

Hi David, can't the bootrom command be used also for managing BootWare Image file (which should be contained inside the Comware Boot Image .bin file) in absence of the .btw file?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

Hi!

Not that I am aware of.  Besides, the Bootrom code is really not something you want to play with.  It is checked everytime the switch or module boots up.  They are a pair.  If you make a change, it will get overwritten on the next restart.

In support, we RARELY need to force a change unless due to some extraordinary error.  I've only done it once in many years. 

I really wouldn't worry about this.

Regards,

David

Pauliusp
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Well the commands I mentioned earlier did change the bootware version and helped me to get them to be the same,

But, as you have rightly predicted, it did not help with the MPLS issue. The config I used for testing is minimal, just bridge aggregation and mpls ldp session. 

I think there is something wrong with the LPUs hardware, because the same config works fine with all other boards and there really isn't many things to be wrong with it. I think HP should test this issue out to see if our case is just a one time thing or it could cause similair issues to other customers as well. Unfortunately, our devices are no longer under warranty, so we cannot register a case. 

VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

Hi Pauliusp!

I really didn't think that would do anything.  The bootrom code is so low level that it doesn't really have anything to do with network protocols.

Unless my team gets a case, there isn't much I could do to test it.  Besides, I don't have MPLS in the lab so it would be difficult to simulate your setup.  Since it appears to only be an issue with one board, I probably couldn't make it happen in the lab anyway.

If you are saying that you have other boards in the chassis that are the same part number and only one of them is misbehaving, that would sound like an RMA candidate to me.  What is the part number and serial number of the LPU and how long have you had it?  I could look and see what the hardware warranty is.

If it becomes a big issue for you, you could call in and open a per incident case.  The L1 person could tell you what that would cost.  I have no idea what we charge for that.

Regards,

David

Pauliusp
Occasional Advisor

David, thanks for your informative replies!

Yes, I understand that, I'm just wondering if it is a single issue or it is deeper and more people could encounter this if they would be replacing their older lpus with new ones. 

Well we have many boards (JC629A) like this one, it has never been an issue. The only difference between the problematic board and all others is the manufacturing date, which is 2016-03-31 (therefore, the bootware version was different as well) and all other boards are around 3yrs old. The part number is JC629A and SN is CN26F3N004. But the warranty is expired :) 

Thanks for your help, David!