1753442 Members
4708 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

CONNECT ONE ROUTER TO TWO CORE SWITCHES

EHTESHAM876

CONNECT ONE ROUTER TO TWO CORE SWITCHES

GREETINGS,

I have two core switches(JC612A) in IRF and i have one gateway router(JF284A) connected to mpls . Currently router is connected to CORE1 and network is up and running with Default Route pointing to the Router. Now i need the router to connect to both CORE1 and CORE2 for redundancy. I have one JD548A card with two GIG interfaces. 

My question is can i connect both the core to router through 
Layer-3 LAG and if one core is down still internet will be working for the network.

IF POSSIBLE KINDLY SHARE LINK OR CONFIGURATION STEPS.

KIND REGARDS,

1 REPLY 1
-Alex-
HPE Pro

Re: CONNECT ONE ROUTER TO TWO CORE SWITCHES

Hello EHTESHAM876,

You cannot use Layer 3 LAG between 3 different devices(Router, Core1 and Core2). If the cores are one IRF stack this could be done but if you connect to two different stacks you have to use other technologies for redundancy.
If you connect both IRF core switches to the router with L2 link and if you are using spanning tree one of the connections will be blocked and will be used only when the other link to the router is down.
If you are using L3 connections between the switches and the router you may use both routes and different methods with static or dynamic routing depending on the preference.
Hope this helps.

Kind regards

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo