Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot do a vlan layer 3 forwarding on a 5500G-ei

ramonmitcs
Occasional Contributor

Cannot do a vlan layer 3 forwarding on a 5500G-ei

greetings,

I am trying to set up vlan on my network. i created 2 vlans. The manual says that i have to create a vlan interface on the 5500G switch which i did, for each vlan to see each other.

so the setup is:

vlan 1 - interface ip is 172.16.1.1/24

vlan 2  - interface ip is 172.16.2.1/24

vlan 10 - interface ip is 172.16.10.1/24

if i connect to the console port i can ping all the interfaces (vlan 1,2 and 10) . I have also created an access port for each vlan. port 1/0/2 for vlan 2 and port 1/0/10 for vlan 10. when i insert the patch cord to port 2 and configure the computer to have an ip of 172.16.2.5 i can ping the vlan 2 interface. If insert the patch cord to port 10 and configure the computer to have an ip of 172.16.10.5 I can ping vlan 10 interface. But when i try to ping the vlan 2 interface (different subnet) i can't. I must have missed something. It seems that the vlan cannot communicate with each other. any  tips and pointers is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Mon

1 REPLY
Fred_Mancen_1
Super Advisor

Re: Cannot do a vlan layer 3 forwarding on a 5500G-ei

The VLAN interface will not came up until you connect at least one host to a port configured with one of these VLANs you have created. If you have a trunk port with all VLANs allowed the interfaces will came up also.

Regards.