1753518 Members
5094 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Configure multicast

nhudon
Occasional Advisor

Configure multicast

I need to configure multicast on my 4500PWR switchs.

What steps should I follow to do that ?

I need to configure it because of my surveillance cameras that I want to use with multicast.  We have some problems with those cameras that are disconnecting and our video surveillance software company told use to configure multicast so no multicast traffic enter the cameras.

Thanks for your help.

Excuse my english, I usually speaks french

3 REPLIES 3
Fred_Mancen_1
Super Advisor

Re: Configure multicast

Hi. A basic configuration that normally works well when using multicast is to enable IGMP Snooping in the VLAN where the cameras are connected. Example: let's consider that you are using the VLAN 3 to assign the cameras. You will need to set these commands:

vlan 3

igmp-snooping enable

That's all.

HTH

This message was edited by Fred_Mancen on 11-30-09 @ 10:21 AM
Regards,
Fred Mancen
nhudon
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

igmp-snooping is already enabled and igmp querier too.

On our 5500G-EI switch, we also configured PIM-DM.

Also, when I do a port mirroring on a port where a surveillance camera is connect, when I do Wireshark, I don't see any multicast traffic from the port to the switch (Output) but if I go in the switch web interface, I see multicast traffic in the statistics. Why ?

Thanks.

Fred_Mancen_1
Super Advisor

Buddy, maybe you can create a multicast group or a multicast VLAN, assigning it to the ports where the cameras are connected. I was reading the configuration guide (3Com_Switch_4500_Family_Operatin_Manual_v3.3.2), on page 301, "Configuring a Multicast Group Filter", and figured out these features that can help you. From the page 301 on you will see several multicast features which customizes the switch operation. Take a look on it.

HTH

Regards,
Fred Mancen