1745857 Members
4382 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion

Configure proper QoS on HPE 5920af

rascho

Configure proper QoS on HPE 5920af

Hi Guys

I am having trouble correctly configuring traffic priority for certain VLAN/Port.

Basically to my setup:

We have two HPE 5920af which are on different sites and connected via a 1 Gbps Fiber Link. I have storage and servers on both sites which both are connected to these let them be called Core Switches. Links are all 10 Gbps.

I have basically 3 types of VLANs: Storage iSCSI(VLAN100), VoIP(VLAN7), Client-/Server traffic (VLAN1,99,etc.)

I have the problem that when there is a backup running or users a copying alot of data from one site to another, that the Storage (StoreVirtual) reports Packet Loss as the Link between the two Sites gets flooded. I understand that this happens, as all server can use 10 Gbps and easily flood the 1 Gbps Link between.

Therefor I want to setup basic QoS which prioritizes traffic in VLAN7 and VLAN100 to be prioritized when going through that 1 Gbps Link.

I made following configuration but still have the same problem as I dont fully understand the configuration:

traffic classifier classifyVLAN7 operator and
 if-match customer-vlan-id 7

traffic classifier classifyVLAN100 operator and
 if-match customer-vlan-id 100

traffic behavior remarkVLAN7
 remark dot1p 3

traffic behavior remarkVLAN100
 remark dot1p 1

qos policy qosVLAN7
 classifier classifyVLAN7 behavior remarkVLAN7

qos policy qosVLAN100
 classifier classifyVLAN100 behavior remarkVLAN100

interface Ten-GigabitEthernet1/0/7
 port link-mode bridge
 port link-type trunk
 port trunk permit vlan all
 qos apply policy qosVLAN100 outbound
#

The configuration is the same on both switches. 1/0/7 is the uplink port to the other site for both switches. I just applied the qos policy for VLAN100 for testing.

Would be very thankfull for any advice and maybe some explanation what would be best practice in a case like this.

Best regards

Ramon

1 REPLY 1
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Re: Configure proper QoS on HPE 5920af

I think the general idea is to remark traffic *inbound* so that the switch is then dealing with traffic that is all marked as per your policies.

If all you're doing is trying to protect voice traffic, then all you need to do is
 - ensure the handsets are marking the voice packets "correctly" (ie,  IP Precedence "6" and DSCP "46")
 - define the Voice VLAN as "voice"

That would normally do it.