4617 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DNS proxy issues on HP 5130

EarlGay
Advisor

DNS proxy issues on HP 5130

Hello,

we're dealing with a strange DNS proxy issue when activated it is going to stop working within the whole stack once one IRF member reboots.

Turning it off and on again (I know) it continues to work.

I'm afraid of using it while no one has access to the switch and once it reboots no client can resolve records..

We're on Comware Software Version 7.1.070, Release 3506P06

1 REPLY 1
Ivan_B
HPE Pro

Re: DNS proxy issues on HP 5130

Hello @EarlGay !

Let's start from the basics mentioned in the guide:

Issue: Failure to resolve IPv4 addresses
Symptom: After enabling dynamic domain name resolution, the user cannot get the correct IP address.
Solution:
To resolve the problem:
1. Use the display dns host command to verify that the specified domain name is in the cache.
2. If the specified domain name does not exist, check that the DNS client can communicate with the DNS server (ping IP address of DNS server from the switch).
3. If the specified domain name is in the cache, but the IP address is incorrect, check that the DNS client has the correct IP address of the DNS server.
4. Verify that the mapping between the domain name and IP address is correct on the DNS server.

Please, give it a try after reproducing the issue.

Let me ask you a couple of additional questions:
1. "DNS proxy issue when activated it is going to stop working within the whole stack once one IRF member reboots." - Does it matter which IRF Slot you reboot - Master or Standby? 
2. When it stops working, does it stop for all VLANs or just for particular VLANs?
3. Does it stop working only if IRF member reboots? Are there any other ways to reproduce the issue?
4. How did you setup DNS proxy, could you share the configuraiton details?
5. Provide "display dns server" output.

Thank you!

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo