1748269 Members
3439 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Direct Replacement for 5800 Chassis

DensBucs
Occasional Visitor

Direct Replacement for 5800 Chassis

So we're in a tough spot right now with HPE Networking products.... We have 120+ 5800 Chassis' installed throughout our School District and now the 5800 Chassis has come to an End Of Sale status. So we're trying to find  adirect replacement, but there doesn't seem to be a DIRECT replacement or at least it's not being advertised on the HPE Website. We're looking at the 5400 modular chassis, which we like very much, except the 5400 uses ProVision mostly and is not full blown Comware compatible. There are some Comware things you can get done in the 5400 but it is not a direct changeover. There are many difference's between Provision and Comware.

Our guys want Comware...

So my question is:

Iis anyone else going through this?

Has anyone found a direct replacemnet for the 5800 chassis?

The 7500 looks nice and is Comware, but seems a bit overkill for what we need. We need the 5800!!!

10 REPLIES 10
parnassus
Honored Contributor

@DensBucs wrote:

... and now the 5800 Chassis has come to an End Of Sale status. So we're trying to find  adirect replacement, but there doesn't seem to be a DIRECT replacement or at least it's not being advertised on the HPE Website.

Hello, just curious...what HPE 5800 models are now in their EoS status exactly (Product Number)?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
DensBucs
Occasional Visitor

parnassus
Honored Contributor

OK, I though all the HPE 5800 family was in EoS...and, at this point, it is or...it looks like.

Below the EoS announcements:

So it all depends on what exact Product Number(s) you have installed...

The strange thing is that, looking specifically at the Product Number JC101B, it was just named as replacement product for the JC101A (during the HP 5800 Switch Series A to B Product Roll where the new SKUs offer all the features and benefits of the SKUs they are replacing in addition to higher RAM and newer software) only few months ago!

See here or just search for it into the HPE EoS legacy announcements list...very short timeframe for another EoS!

I'm not an HPE Employee
DensBucs
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the links... But now I see our SFP switch is on this list as well (JD379A - A5500 SFP EI Switch).... GOSH. what the heck is going on???

Looks like HPE is moving away from Comware devices completely.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hi, don't shoot the messenger!

I don't think that HPE is moving away from Comware (from Comware 5? from Comware 7? from both?) considering the actual number of Comware-based Switch families (HPE FlexNetwork) its portfolio owns.

Maybe it's active a sort of portfolio consolidation.

I'm not an insider...nor an expert, so this is just an opinion and I could be very wrong.

There are a lot of interesting (un)official conversations about this argument (ProVision, Comware roadmaps, new Products introduction, new features and so on...). See, as example, just this one or this other one (both few months old).

An interesting document could also be the Campus Networking & Aruba Switching (Atmosphere 2015) presentation (November 2015)...but we should keep our eyes open on next-coming Atmosphere 2016 (in few days...) and maybe there will other interesting presentations to evaluate.

I'm not an HPE Employee
TerjeAFK
Respected Contributor

I attended EMEA Atmosphere 2016 a few weeks ago, and there was very little talk about Comware switches from HPE there. 99% was focused on Provision (now ArubaOS) switches. Having said that, would not the 5900 series be a replacement for the 5800?

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Is it because HPE will mantain its focus on HPE FlexNewtorks/FlexFabric portfolio while Aruba will focus into ArubaOS-Switch (ProVision)?

By the way, Atmosphere - as event - is probably more focused in presenting/discussing especially Aruba original and branded products (and features) like the ProVision HPE 2530, 2920, 2930F, 3810 and 5400R zl2 now Aruba (ArubaOS-Switch is ProVision rebranded).

See, as example, the good ATM16 Take a Walk On The Wired Side video (the first speaker, Rub├йn Iglesias, says...Comware came from the old days of 3Com acquisition...those are still HP and will have the green rectangular logo on them...): at about 44" (and again at about 57") Rub├йn starts to speak about HPE FlexNetwork Switch Series (10500, 5900, 5130 EI/HI, 5510 HI and 7500).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

How often do you have to replace a faulty 5800?
My experience of both HP and 3COM products is that they continue to function many, many years beyond EoS without a problem. (With some exceptions, eg the Procurve 4100 had some issues, whereas the 4000 it replaced never ever failed except for the minor power supply issue).
In the interim, just make sure you have enough spares to cover you for, say, however many failures you expect over the next 3 years (which is probably pretty close to nil).

Otherwise, the 5400 is a really good switch, excellent value and very easy to work with. The only failures I think I ever had with it was with one of the models of 10Gb GBIC modules, where almost all of them failed, over time, which wasn't a huge deal as I was moving to SFP+ in a denser configuration anyway. Everything else should continue working pretty much forever.

If you want to stick with 3COM, you've got the 5900 series, and with IRF they are very flexible, although now could be your chance to move away from 3COM.

MichaelM55
Trusted Contributor

Can I get your 5800? ;-) i.e. keep your 5800 they are great switches!

Hint: Buy "HP Renew" devices.