108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Dissapired 7m DAC Cable in 5130's EI /HI

SOLVED
Go to solution
FrankLG
Occasional Contributor

Dissapired 7m DAC Cable in 5130's EI /HI

Untill recenty i've noticed HPE X240 10G SFP+ SFP+  7 m DAC Cables from Cable support list on the 5130 EI and HI

But in the 5900AF 48X DAC cable list the do APPEAR!!!,

Does anyone know if i can still use HPE X240 10G SFP+ SFP+  7 m DAC Cables for uplink and/or IRF witth 5130 EI/HI's ?

4 REPLIES 4
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Regarding the HPE FlexNetwork 5130 EI Switch Series supported DAC Cables, latest QuickSpecs Version 16 of January, 9th 2017, reports those ones as actually usable:

• JD095C HPE FlexNetwork X240 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 0.65m Direct Attach Copper Cable
  • JD096C HPE FlexNetwork X240 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 1.2m Direct Attach Copper Cable
  • JD097C HPE FlexNetwork X240 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 3m Direct Attach Copper Cable
  • JG081C HPE FlexNetwork X240 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 5m Direct Attach Copper Cable
  • JH693A HPE X240 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 0.65m Direct Attach Copper Campus Cable
  • JH694A HPE X240 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 1.2m Direct Attach Copper Campus Cable
  • JH695A HPE X240 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 3m Direct Attach Copper Campus Cable

So no 7 meters long DAC Cable (Campus or not) are listed. Eventually JH693A, JH694A and JH695A (DAC Campus Cables) was ever listed nor it was ever removed since the very first QuickSpecs published years ago (2014 or 2015).

The same should be valid also for Brazil only marketed HPE FlexNetwork 5130 EI Brazil Switch Series (its latest QuickSpecs edition is Version 5 of January, 9th 2017). I didn't checked older QuickSpecs versions but I'm quite confident that the same can be said about that switch series.

Regarding the HPE FlexNetwork 5130 HI Switch Series supported DAC Cables, latest QuickSpecs Version 11 of January, 9th 2017, reports basically the same usable DAC Cables listed above.

SO...where you have found (or noticed) that a 7 meters long DAC Cable was listed as a supported Accessory for 5130 EI (Brazil or not) and/or 5130 HI Switch Series?

IMHO the 7 meters long DAC Cable hasn't disappeared...it really never appeared [*] [**]...at least considering the three Switch Series mentioned above.

[*] To be true the HPE X242 SFP+ SFP+ Direct Attach Cables series exists: see its QuickSpecs here, there are 1, 3 and 7 meters long models (respectively with Product ID: J9281B, J9283B and J9287B). They are marketed as "Low Price" 10G SFP+ SFP+ DAC Cables. No reference of them on 5130 EI/HI...probably because they are referenced to HPE ProCurve ProVision based or actual Aruba ArubaOS-Switch based switches families and not to HPE Comware based ones.

[**] To be true a JH696A HPE X240 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 7m Direct Attach Copper Campus Cable exists in the HPE DAC Cables portfolio: It is tagged as new, see here...so PROBABLY...next 5130 EI/HI QuickSpecs editions will be probably updated by adding this longer DAC Campus Cable.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
FrankLG
Occasional Contributor

Really Really, thank you for the answer.

"...SO...where you have found (or noticed) that a 7 meters long DAC Cable was listed as a supported Accessory for 5130 EI (Brazil or not) and/or 5130 HI Switch Series?"

Now, i first noticed HPE took out the 7 mt DAC cable arround July 2016. When i first started designing networks on IRIS ( Intangi Software click here) i was able to select 7 mt DAC cables, then after Mid 2016 i was not allowed to select 7 mt DAC cable because it wasn┬┤t on the DAC cable list anymore.

I constantly overwritte my Datasheet portfolio so i dont have evidence of 7m DAC cables being supported prior mid 2016.

Thanks for answering Parnassus

FrankLG
Occasional Contributor

Realy thank you for all the information.

"So no 7 meters long DAC Cable (Campus or not) are listed. Eventually JH693A, JH694A and JH695A (DAC Campus Cables) was ever listed nor it was ever removed since the very first QuickSpecs published years ago (2014 or 2015)."

You are absolutly right there has never been support for 7 m DAC Cable y attached a 2014 datasheet.

"SO...where you have found (or noticed) that a 7 meters long DAC Cable was listed as a supported Accessory for 5130 EI (Brazil or not) and/or 5130 HI Switch Series?"

Y use Intangi Software to create networks design and I was able to select 7 meters DAC cables por my designs, and up until mid 2016 Intangi removed those 7 m DAC cables from the list.

parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yep, so it's an Intangi Software (database) issue...not an HPE documentation issue: probably Intangi should update the HPE related product portfolio (with all its bindings) to match with actual HPE documentation QuickSpecs...or agree with HPE about what is really available and supported for each Switch Series considered. I have no experience with Intangi so I don't know how it works.

I really don't know if QuickSpecs are up-to-date or not with what HPE is offering/marketing now (in terms of Switches' Accessories I mean): see above the example [**] of the JH696A HPE X240 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 7m Direct Attach Copper Campus Cable which exists in the HPE DAC Cables portfolio (it is marketed) but it isn't (yet) listed on relevant Switches' QuickSpecs along with its shorter brothers (JH693A, JH694A and JH695A) DAC Cables.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner