Comware Based
1748228 Members
4247 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Firmware upgrade with rolling reboot? (not full stack reboot)

spgsitsupport
Regular Advisor

Firmware upgrade with rolling reboot? (not full stack reboot)

I hoped that it would allow me to upgrade firmware on the 4 member stack with rolling reboot

This document specifies only 2 member setup:

HP 5900AF Switch Series - How to Upgrade the Software Using the In
Service Software Upgrade (ISSU) Utility

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=mmr_sf-EN_US000005131

and it ONLY worked partially on a 4 member stack

It allowed me to upgrade ONE of the members, rebooted it with new software loaded, but then:

issu run switchover

did reboot (previous) master, but with OLD firmware & LOST ALL IRF config!!!

I never had chance to upgrade other members, as it complained that steps were not followed

So in the end I upgraded in normal way

boot-loader file flash:/5900_r2422p02.ipe slot 2 main
boot-loader file flash:/5900_r2422p02ipe slot 3 main
boot-loader file flash:/5900_r2422p02.ipe slot 4 main

with full fabric reboot (as I do not yet have this stack in production)

But it is unacceptable to reboot full stack once IN production!

Should ISSU work with more than 2 member stack?

Seb

4 REPLIES 4
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Just curious, so pardon me if I ask you few questions: what was the initial Comware 7.10 R2xnn release your IRF Stack members had (compared to the one you wanted to upgrade them to) and...since you were then forced to proceed manually due to the ISSU issue you experienced, why then you updated IRF Stack members manually to *only* Comware 7.10 R2210 (2013) instead of take advantage of the latest Comware 7.10 R24nn (2016) available?

Did you performed the ISSU Upgrade procedure while connected *concurrently* (Host with a 4 ports NIC, each port connected to one IRF Stack member) with your four IRF Stack's members?

AFAIK there shouldn't be issues in using ISSU with a 4 members IRF Stack (in Ring topology, as example)...

ISSU (In-Service Software Upgrade) supports Compatible and Incompatibe upgrades (did ISSU recognized a Compatbile upgrade or what? ...so starting software version and ending software version were compatible for ISSU as per related Release Notes)...so I asked.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
spgsitsupport
Regular Advisor

Thaat was just copy/paste in the first post from manual instructions (now corrected!)

I was upgrading from 5900AF-5920AF_7.10.R2422P01 to 5900AF-5920AF_7.10.R2422P02

https://h10145.www1.hp.com/downloads/SoftwareReleases.aspx?ProductNumber=JC772A&lang=&cc=&prodSeriesId=

Yes, my setup has each stack member management port connected to LAN

As I said, switchover did not upgrade software on "old" master (one I was connected to) AND in fact dropped "new" master all together from IRF (making it standalone, but with same IP as IRF rest of the stack)

Had to join "new" master back to IRF manually!, which makes me think that ISSU does not work (at least did not work in that case)

Seb

I do not even think how that would need to be done:

(Host with a 4 ports NIC, each port connected to one IRF Stack member)

That would mean machine dedicated to stack managegement, with each unit assigned own IP?  (something that I would not consider sensible)

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Sorry I meant that you should have an host that can reach (and that can be reached by) each IRF Member (not exactly necessary 4 ports NIC! silly me!), I recall I've read an old Post about upgrade problems on 4 members IRF Stack...in which, if I recall well, a split was forced (so a pair was updated separately from the other pair)...but - maybe - that was a consequence of another very different issue (I will look for that Post and provide the link here once found).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
spgsitsupport
Regular Advisor

Yes, all my members are connected to LAN. I will also make sure that I have LOCAL standalone cfg files with different IP for EACH single member, just in case it happens again (it is easier than have each unit connected via console)