New Discussion юеВ

Re: H3C S5120-48P-EI - software query

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark_Waistell
Occasional Contributor

H3C S5120-48P-EI - software query

Hi, 

Where can I find the last software update and release notes for the H3C S5120-48P-EI Switch.

I have tried HP Support > pages but to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
J-Christophe
Advisor
Solution

Hi,

I suppose that your "HP reference Model Number" is JE067A or JE069A

Firmware are availalbe here: https://h10145.www1.hpe.com/Downloads/SoftwareReleases.aspx?ProductNumber=JE067A&lang=en,en&cc=us,us&prodSeriesId=4177501

Below is also the HP Networking lookup tool URL:

https://h10145.www1.hpe.com/Downloads/ProductsList.aspx

Jean-Christophe

Mark_Waistell
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the prompt reply Jean-Christophe and the answer to my query. I note within the release notes in the link you provide my H3C switch is included.

FYI: The product model is not given when I run "disp device manu" on the H3C Switch whereas it is if I run on an HP switch so trust maybe my firmware (2202)  was too early to show the model. 

Would you be able to supply the same info for an H3C S5820X-28S please. Apologies, I found this one after my original query.

Thanks again

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Why not considering to perform a (re)brand of your H3C into HP (well...HPE, actually) - read here (going from H3C S5120-EI Switch Series to HPE A5120 EI Switch Series is admitted) - and then update its current Firmware to latest available provided by HPE as per related Release Notes (see guidelines and restrictions)?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Mark_Waistell
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the tip Parnassus, I did look for the "Brand" command but it was not there so I suspect it is already converted noting the command structure is in standard HP format although the Disp Device Manu command shows "VENDOR_NAME : H3C"

parnassus
Honored Contributor

The command structure is basically identical since both H3C and HP (HPE) run the same Comware (Comware 5 in this case) OS codebase...if the "vendor" is still "H3C" the brand is - reasonably [*] - still "H3C" and not "HP" (or HPE), if so...why are you trying to look for a Product Number (Jxxxx) that is specifically an HP characteristic and not an H3C one (or am I missing something?)?

[*] I mean: that should be true if display device manuinfo command displays values (strings) that the brand command wasn't able to change when invoked because those strings are "read only" (embedded into the Hardware such, probably, the vendor string, as example)...if so (re)branding will succeded but Hardware string will remain H3C...or, if my line of reasoning is totally wrong (totally possible!), the display device manuinfo command should display HP if the brand command is able to change those Hardware related strings.

What is the complete (sanitized) output of:

• display device menuinfo
  • display version

commands on your H3C switch?

Edit: (re)branding - as a feature - seems to require R2215 (or later) for the HP A5500-EI/A5500-SI/A5120-EI Switch Series.

I'm not an HPE Employee
J-Christophe
Advisor

Hi,

Even after rebranding your device, "dis dev man" shows as H3C:

<SH-E5-R03_SWDMZ>dis brand
Current BRANDs:
Slot 1: HPE.
Slot 2: HPE.
New BRANDs:
Slot 1: HPE.
Slot 2: HPE.
<SH-E5-R03_SWDMZ>dis dev man
Slot 1:
DEVICE_NAME : S5800-56C-PWR
DEVICE_SERIAL_NUMBER : 210235A378H101000078
MAC_ADDRESS : 0023-89CE-21F9
MANUFACTURING_DATE : 2010-11-06
VENDOR_NAME : H3C

Power 1: [...]

Fan 1: [...]

Slot 2:

DEVICE_NAME : S5800-56C-PWR
DEVICE_SERIAL_NUMBER : 210235A378H101000010
MAC_ADDRESS : 0023-89CE-0615
MANUFACTURING_DATE : 2010-11-06
VENDOR_NAME : H3C

Power 1: [...]

Fan 1: [...]

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Exactly: (re)branding will succeded but Hardware related informational strings (not only VENDOR_NAME but also DEVICE_NAME, MANUFACTORING_DATE and DEVICE_SERIAL_NUMBER, as example) will remain H3C related because those strings are hard-coded in Hardware during (or, as a part of) each Switch manufactoring process.

The only way to understand brand status is to check Current BRANDs/New BRANDs strings reported by display brand command.

I'm not an HPE Employee
MannyS
Visitor

Hi,

Is it possible to directy move to HP version of firmware from H3C if your H3C version does does not support the "brand" command. Here is my situation. Purchased used H3C swith with firmware vesrion s5120ei-cmw520-r2208-s168.bin. This firmware does not support the brand command. I believe the brand command was added in r2215 or later version of H3C firmware. I believe based on reading that the switch needs to be re-branded bofore it will accept the HP versions of the firmware. I have been in contact with support at H3C, but they will not release later versions of the firmware. (Even though is is on their website) all firmware is locked from downloading. So the issue is it seems, I can not upgrade H3C switch to HPE later versions unless I can first upgrade to H3C version of firmware that supports the "brand" command, and unfortunately, getting a version of the H3C firmware and bootloader has been unsuccessful so far for me. 

Am I mistaken, or can I just upgrade to latest HPE version (A5120EI-CMW520-R2222P07.bin/A5120EI-BTM-621.btm)  without first rebranding the switch).

thanks for any info on this.

Manny

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hello @MannyS, yesterday I did something similar by updating - with (re)branding from 3Com to HP - an old 3Com 4800G which now appears as an HP A5500 EI.

I started from 3Com R2202P15 with BootROM version 604 (October 2009) to, finally, HP R2222P07 with BootROM 721 (November 2013).

Clearly R2222P07 system boot file image is far more recent than the BootROM version 721 it supports.

I performed the (re)branding once I updated to R2215 (Yes, you're correct about that) with BootROM version 710, but that was done - not as a requirement, was just an exercise - stepping first into R2208 with BootROM version 702.

IMHO you should be able to throw whatever you want [**] to reach the branding feature version (since R2215 with BootROM version 710) and, once there brand from H3C to HP, finally go to R2222P07 with BootROM version 721 directly.

I've checked if System Image and BootROM versions follow the same pairing (and are the same in numbering) also on HP A5120 EI (AKA 3Com 4210G or H3C S5210-EI) with respect to 3Com 4800G/HP A5500 EI...but judging by the versions you cited above it looks so (that's to say that the versions above speak for sure about the 3Com 4800G/HP A5500 EI/H3C S5500-EI). [*]

It's just a matter of having an FTP Server, use Binary Mode, get the btm and bin file pairs (for each version you want to use in your update process) and - free space given for granted on the Switch's flash - perform in sequence a bootrom update on slot 1 (for btm) and a boot-loader file on slot 1 main (for bin).

[*] Wrong, specific R2222P07 for 3Com 4210G/4510G, HP A5120 EI and H3C S5210-EI uses BootROM 621, clearly - I think - that BootROM is specific to those Hardwares, so numbering looks similar but the binary files are clearly not. That's to say that versions numbering (and dates) reported above are valid only considering 3Com 4800G.

[**] Take, as example, this Customer Bullettin and note this particular statement:

"Although the latest (personal note: HP/HPE as I understand) software for the product can run on any brand of the products, earlier H3C or 3Com software versions may not be able to run on (personal note: newer) HP branded products"

...and not the vice-versa (so running newer HP Software on old 3Com/H3C branded Hardware), which seems always possible without particular restrictions.

So, eventually, the problem could be - actually - having a factory new HP product (Factory branded HP/HPE) and wanting to run on it old 3Com/H3C system software (as example to insert the new HP product into an existing 3Com/H3C IRF Fabric running on old 3Com/H3C system software), not the contrary (as we're trying to do).

I'm not an HPE Employee