1751780 Members
4329 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 5120-EI Configurations

mirco_ek
Occasional Contributor

HP 5120-EI Configurations

Hi, as i know trhee configuration files are present inside the switch (main.cfg, backup.cfg, factory.cfg).

After I have configured the switch I saved the two configurations (main and backup) so, at the next reboot of the switch main.cfg  or, in case of fault backup.cfg, file will be loaded, all works fine.

My question is about a hardware fault, for example if a replacement of the switch  is needed, the new swicth came from HP with the factory configuration and many  service are disabled (web browser, ftp, ecc) so, is not possible to transfer configuration files into the switch. There is a way to load a configuration file in a factory configuration switch without enable ftp service or web browser?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

Hi Micro_ek!

You are not entirely correct on this.  When you get a new Comware switch there is no configuration saved on the switch until you save it.  When it first comes up there is a default configuration but it is in memory only.  You could save it at that point and then you would have a factory configuration with a name of your choice.

As for Main and Backup configs, those don't exist either until you designate config files that you have saved on the switch as a Main or Backup configuration.  You do that with the startup command.  You can use the ? for command choices or <tab> for command completion.

There are also Main and Backup boot code files as well.  For a new switch you probably will only have one version of the code.  I usually designate the previously installed version as the backup and delete older versions from the flash drive.

If the switch you have has a USB port, you could save a copy of the configuration on a USB Thumb Drive.  In Comware, the USB port is usually referred to as "usba0:".

Just remember that as a best practice, use the umount to dismount the thumb drive from the switch when you are done.

Good luck with the new switch!

Regards,

David

I work for HPE in Aruba Technical Support
mirco_ek
Occasional Contributor

Hi David,

Thank you for replay, I'm so confused. 

My goal is to find the best way to quickly reconfigure a new  switch in case of hardware faults of the older one when it will be place on field.

Unfortunatelly in HP5120-EI  switch there is not a usb port, so I'm loocking for alternative solution to download the configuration  on the switch without configure ftp or web browser before.

My idea is to use a .txt file with a list of configuration commands and sent it to the switch by TERATERM whit RS232 console port connection.

I try to do this but sometime I find command errors (due to serial port speed, I think) and the switch is not correcly configured...

Have you some other idea?

Regards

mirco_ek
Occasional Contributor

Hi David,

Sloved, I made a .txt file with the list of commands needed to configure the switch and I have sent it to the switch with the factory configuration.

To works properly it's needed to set the line delay bigger than 50 msec in the serial port configuration of Tera Term.

Thanks.

Apachez-
Trusted Contributor

Yeah either you paste the config through console (dunno if filetransfer works through console) or (better) you temporary enable telnet (since you are directly connected to the device) and transfer the backup config that way then point it out to be used and reboot the device, dont forget to match the firmware version (that is to match the one used for the config backup).