1753560 Members
6093 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP 5130 JG932A No Menu access via CLI/Putty/Console port

Dan_318
Visitor

HP 5130 JG932A No Menu access via CLI/Putty/Console port

I have a HP 5130 JG932A, I hookup via console using putty and power on switch and see startup messages/text including ctrl-D and ctrl-B for those menus but neither ctrl menu will load. Switch just goes ahead and loads software and starts but cannot get any keys to work via putty and cosole hookup. I double checked putty settings with 5130 manual and they are spot on. 

One thing, after the switch boots and says starting,  some funny symbols populate and cursor freezes.
Did someone configure this switch to not allow console access? If so how do you reset the switch?

2 REPLIES 2
Ivan_B
HPE Pro

Hello!

The console port uses the following default settings:
- Bits per second—9600 bps.
- Flow control—None.
- Parity—None.
- Stop bits—1.
- Data bits—8.

"after the switch boots and says starting,  some funny symbols populate and cursor freezes" makes me thinking you have bit rate mismatch between switch's console port and terminal client.

Also, are you sure the console cable (and USB to serial adapter if any) works fine with other devices? It can be a failure of the cable itself. Another suggestion - try different terminal client. In overall PuTTY always works if set up appropriately  

Hope it helps!

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

sdide
Respected Contributor

Hi,

One thing, after the switch boots and says starting, some funny symbols populate and cursor freezes.
Did someone configure this switch to not allow console access? If so how do you reset the switch?

I would definately check the cable and, if used, the USB-to-serial adapter.

It could also be the RJ45 connecter in the switch itself which is dirty. In that case you can try and clean the connecters. In case it is broken, I'd have your HPE-vendor look at it.

Regards

Søren Dideriksen, Network Administrator
Region Midtjylland