1748146 Members
3652 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 5406/5412/3800 Switches constantly showing ports offline/online

Brian_Mtz
Visitor

HP 5406/5412/3800 Switches constantly showing ports offline/online

We moved from 3Com to HP last year and have noticed this problem going on for a while. Any device pulling power from the switches are constantly showing the port to go offline then back online. This happens every 7-10 minutes, all day and night. Thought this was related to a firmware issue, recently upgraded to 15.18 but the problem is still going on. 

Our HP Access Points (560) constantly reboot since the port goes offline, then back online. 

Any one else have issues with ports toggling offline and online, not just when users turn devices on or off? 

4 REPLIES 4
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Start by checking your power budget.

What power supplies do you have?
How many devices are connected?
What kind of power do the devices draw?

Do a 
show power-over-ethernet 

TerjeAFK
Respected Contributor

Check also the config of one of the interfaces going up and down:

show run int xx

Is there PoE-config for these interfaces? Is Spanning Tree enabled, and if so are these interfaces set as edge ports and with BPDU protection? Check the switch logs.

Brian_Mtz
Visitor

Status and Counters - System Power Status

System Power Status : No redundancy
PoE Power Status : No redundancy
Operational Power Status : No redundancy

Chassis power-over-ethernet:
Total Available Power : 1680 W
Total Failover Power : 873 W
Total Redundancy Power : 0 W
Total Used Power : 160 W +/- 6W
Total Remaining Power : 1520 W

Internal Power

PS    Total Power      Aux Power                 Status

1        873                   Not Supported          POE+ Connected

2       807                   Not Supported          POE+ Connected
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I removed every module from the chassis, with just a single access point left connected and the AP still reboots. I took a known working AP from a different location, still with the same result at this location 

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

OK, so power looks OK. (The only question mark there would be if your APs are trying to draw more than 30W power. Can you lock the AP down to 802.3af and not 802.3at, see if it makes any difference? Not very likely I think).

If the power looks OK, I'd be looking at connectivity at the Layer-2 level. Do you have any performance monitoring on the switchports? Are they getting overly congested, for example? Do you have VLANs spanned all over the place, or are they dedicated per wiring closet?