Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP 5500 EL LACP

LGI
Occasional Visitor

HP 5500 EL LACP

Hi everyone

I am just trying to figure out how many aggregation groups a HP5500 El supports.  I can't findy any documentation that states the number of supported groups

The exact mode is 5500-24G-SFP, i have two of them and will be configuring them in a stack

thanks

Luis

P.S> This thread has been moved from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to Comware-Based. - Hp Forum Moderator

6 REPLIES
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Re: HP 5500 EL LACP

I seem to recall that Juniper were very keen on telling you the max number of LAGGs on each of their switch models. It was always a very high number that made me think this information would never be relevant.

H3C don't seem to tell you in the 5500 configuration guide, so I assume if there is a limit, it's something so large it will never actually be a limit so they figure you don't need to be given useless information.

As you can potentially IRF 9 switches together, you could conceivably try to configure 216 LAGGs. Presumably this is supportedf or they would warn you about a limit.

LGI
Occasional Visitor

Hi Vince

Thanks, I will only need about 30 total.   I know the 5400 shows me 73+ possible groups so i would hope the 5500 has more

Luis

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

I would always be wary about thinking of using a large stack of 1RU switches to provide your core Layer3 switching functions instead of using a chassis switch. The 1RU switches have all sorts of limitations on what they can do, compared with the chassis switches.

I discovered the 5900s, for example, have very limited support for lines of access lists beyond a fairly small number.

TerjeAFK
Respected Contributor

Just out of curiousity Vince, why would you use tons of access lists on your switches? Would it not be better to have a firewall control the traffic instead?

sdide
Respected Contributor

Hi,

the manual - (layer 2 LAN switching command reference page 90.)

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=4174795&docId=emr_na-c03962896&docLocale=en_US

says you can name them 1 - 128, so an upper limit is definately 128. If they can all be used (I haven't confirmed that ) then you have 128 interface bridge-aggregations.

Regards.

Søren Dideriksen, Network Administrator
Region Midtjylland
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Terje, I don't necessarily get to tell my customers that their use of vast reams of access-list lines on their core switches is completely retarded... :)

However, I always take the opportunity to suggest a security redesign to follow a properly segmented zone-based model...