1753408 Members
7282 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP 5700 (JG898A) Switches IRF with Management Ports

TheSW
Occasional Visitor

HP 5700 (JG898A) Switches IRF with Management Ports

I have configured 2 x HP 5700 (JG898A) switches with IRF and tested successfully. During operational testing I manually failed the master and the expected result was that the slave continued to operate.

What didn't happen was the failover of the management port.

I configured the Management interface on the master after configuring IRF but do not know how to configure the management interface on the slave switch. Is this possible?

Is it possible to have and active/standby model for the management interfaces, whereby failover will occur should one of the switches fail?

4 REPLIES 4
TheSW
Occasional Visitor

Does anybody have any idea here or is my explanantion not very clear?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Apachez-
Trusted Contributor

The management interfaces (that is the physical interface named management) is, as far as I know, out of band interfaces meaning it got its own routingtable (like a VRF) and is dedicated per box.

If you want single ip management you need to enable ssh and then have a proper ACL (recommended), this way you can login through any of the vlans for which the box has an ip configured.

manuel.bitzi
Trusted Contributor

Hello

The Management-Interface M-GE 0/0/0 is allways active on the irf master. if the irf fails the Management-Interface on the new master will get active. Works perfectly during my tests.

br

Manuel

H3CSE, MASE Network Infrastructure [2011], Switzerland
rjm018
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

I experiancing the same issue.  I diconnected one of the Managment port and I lost connection or pings.

What's you test procedure for the Management?  Did you just disconnect one of the Managment cable or did you

shutdown the Master?