7032 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 5800-48G - a virtual isolated switch that supports VLANs

Crizco-OK
Occasional Contributor

HP 5800-48G - a virtual isolated switch that supports VLANs

Hi Everyone

I have several IRFs of either 5800 series or 5900 series HP Comware switches -  about 25 switches in total.

At one of my sites, I need to provide a 4 port x 10Gb switch that supports multiple VLANs. My first thought, can I completely isolate 4 ports on one of my 5800 or 5900 series switches? Saving me the cost of buying a switch just for this.

So does anyone know if I can do this? The 4 x ports would carry multiple vlans and need to keep these separeate from the rest of the switch.

BTW, the switches are in IRF configuration and that site and the 5800 is running version 5.20.105. 

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Maybe I'm understimating your question...but, isn't it simply a matter of tagging required 10G ports with necessary VLANs...considering that you'd do Port based VLANs (tagging single ports if you're dealing with four indipendent uplinks or tagging the aggregation of those four ports - a LAG uplink - if you are dealing with a link aggregation group)? ...I mean no matter if you do that from a physical/virtual switch's standpoint.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

If Spanning Tree is in use you have to be careful.  We've done similar kinds of things in the lab and the result was that some uplink ports would get shut off despite being different VLANs.  A way around that would be PVST but the network has to be designed to do that.  Our lab network is running classic STP.  In my case, I had to dedicate another switch.

Happy New Year!

Regards,

David

I work for HPE in Aruba Technical Support
Crizco-OK
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the quick response, apologies for not being clearer and mentioning the VLANs.

Unfortunately some of the same VLAN numbers are in use in the main network.

I ideally want to encapsulate 4 ports and treat them as a completely separate switch (it is to save me time and $$$ in buying a new switch).

Crizco-OK
Occasional Contributor

Hi David

Thanks for the advice, I originally was going for a second dedicated switch, it was a case of "can it be done?". 

Also to save $$$ and time.