108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP A 5510 JH148A - Buffered Logging

Rangie89
Occasional Visitor

HP A 5510 JH148A - Buffered Logging

Hello,

Hopefully a quick question.

I have HP A 5510 JH148A - Buffered Logging enabled, with a size of 1024 configured. The problem is once there are 1024 messges in the buffer old messeges do not get rotated out of the buffer and no new messages get buffered.

Why is this so? Is there a comand to force old messages out.

Regards,

John.

2 REPLIES 2
Apachez-
Trusted Contributor

Sounds really odd...

First verify that you use the latest firmware to rule that thing out:

https://h10145.www1.hpe.com/downloads/SoftwareReleases.aspx?ProductNumber=JH148A

Looks like (currently) 7.10 R1120 released on 25th april 2016 is the on you should use.

Second this is my config from comware5 (I know the above is comware7 but still) for a HP 5820-24XG-SFP+ (JC102A):

info-center source default channel 0 log state off trap state off
info-center source default channel 1 log state off trap state off
info-center source default channel 2 trap level informational debug level informational
info-center source default channel 4 trap level informational debug level informational
info-center loghost source LoopBack0
info-center loghost <REMOVED>
info-center logbuffer size 1024
info-center trapbuffer size 1024
info-center synchronous
info-center timestamp loghost iso
undo info-center logfile enable
Rangie89
Occasional Visitor

Ok,. So this was confusing me, however I have figured it out.

I did not have access to a switch this that log buffering was working on, so I wasnt abled to compare config between working an not.

It comes down to the fact that the 3rd party contracted for the builds might not have been fully versed in comware and had the command 'info-center syslog min-age 3600'  on all the devices.

After some research I found out this value was hours. So essentially, once the buffer got to 1024 lines, it would take something like 21 weeks before the old line would be removed to allow the new line.

This would make troubleshooting an issue quite slow.

Thanks for your reply.