1751785 Members
5031 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP A5120, VLAN per ip range

Haver
Frequent Visitor

HP A5120, VLAN per ip range

Hi, I'm very new in networking, at this point, I have two switches A5120 working in the default vlan, assigned by ports.
so, the question is, can I assign an ip range or specific ips per VLan, instead of ports? that's because I have another switch in cascade with ip telephones and workstations, I need separate the ips for phones and ips for data.

Thanks

P.S. This thread has ben moved from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to Comware-Based. - Hp forum moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Create a new VLAN on both switches.

Add the new VLAN as a "tagged" VLAN to the interfaces on each switch that are used to interconnect them.

On the cascaded switch, add the new VLAN to the ports where it is needed, either "untagged" or "tagged" depending on which the device is configured for.

Haver
Frequent Visitor

thanks, thats is great,
but the problem is, in the cascade, the switches are not configurable, so, I don't have any way to know if there is a ip phone, a camera or a data cable, so I want separate this tree options by ip, instead of ports. any idea?.

Thanks again.

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

You can use 802.1x to identify the devices by MAC address and assign them to the right VLAN that way.

sdide
Respected Contributor

Hi Haver,

you might want to look into: "Configuring IP subnet-based VLANs" in the  Layer 2 - LAN switching configuration guide.

(here is a link to a pdf with all the guides in one big pdf, there its page 317)

http://h17007.www1.hp.com/device_help/H3C-Manuals/5120/5120-Configuration-Guide%28R2215%29.pdf

The switch will tag traffic depending on not what pvid the port has, but rather on the source IP-address. 

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS.

but that seems to be what you're asking for.

Regards

Søren Dideriksen, Network Administrator
Region Midtjylland