New Discussion

HP A5500-48G-EI stack port ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
charlesPTS
Occasional Advisor

HP A5500-48G-EI stack port ?

Hi experts,

I have 2x HP A5500-48G-EI switch, which i am tasked to stack them up.

Was reading the manual guide but was not able to find more information on stacking information (stock port etc).

Appreciate if anyone could help me on this: 

1) which port is for stacking  ?

2) Which port is for uplink ?

Thank a million in advance =)

Cheers

Charles

14 REPLIES 14
Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

Re: HP A5500-48G-EI stack port ?

Hi,

There are no dedicated stack-ports as IRF is used over regular 10G interfaces, so you'll have to buy a pair of those, preferably  the HP 2-port 10-GbE A5500 Local Connection Module (JD360B) if you're doing just local stacking.

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

vangass
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Isn't HP A5500-48G-El the old 3Com 5500G-48-El? That 3Com has Cascade ports on the back side, You just have to buy special cable for it.

Datasheet for HP A5500G has says: "High-bandwidth CX4 and SFP+ local stacking: provide 10 Gbps SPF+ or 12 Gbps CX4 local stacking cables; achieve a resilient stacking configuration".

Regards,

V.

Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

No the old 3Com 5500G is now the HP E5500G. The HP A5500G is the H3C 5500G, (the 3Com 5500G was named H3C 5600G).

H3C/HP 5500G is the newer version of the H3C 5600G with comware5 and module slots at the back without stack ports.

Regards,

Fredrik

---
CCIE Service Provider
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

charlesPTS
Occasional Advisor

Hi all,

Thank for the swift respond.

But i still kinda lost here, hope you guys could guide me out of the jungle.

Hi srg,

does that mean i can't use any of the ports infront of the switch ? is JD360B module slotted at the back of the switch ?

I had read up the datasheet of A5500. its like what vangass had said, it stated the following:

"High-bandwidth CX4 and SFP+ local stacking: provide 10 Gbps SPF+ or 12 Gbps CX4 local stacking cables; achieve a resilient stacking configuration".

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA3-0729ENW.pdf

Does that also mean i can get a SFP to slot infront of the switch to mean stacking workable ?

Thank all in advance =)

Cheers
Charles
Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

No you cannot use the slots on the front of the switch, stacking (called IRF on the comware5 devices) is done only with 10G ports. That means that if you want to stack a few switches local in the same rack you can buy the CX4 10G module (JD360B) and some CX4 cables (JD364B or JD365A).

But since IRF is done over regular 10G ethernet you could also buy the 2 port SFP+ 10G module and stack switches on different sites with LR SFP+.

Or buy one CX4 module for local stacking, and one SFP+ module for 10G uplinks from your stack. You have a few different possibilities.

I'd suggest you read the IRF configuration guide for the 5500, it might clear tihngs up :)

Regards

Fredrik

---
CCIE Service Provider
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

charlesPTS
Occasional Advisor

Hi srg,

Thank for the information =D you are really helpful !

I manage to "get out of the jungle" with your help =)

Once again, thank a million.

Cheers

Charles

sebastan
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I am new to HP 3Com switches. I have a query for hp A5500G EI Switches as to how many switches we can stack together. is the IRF technology refered to as stacking cause i couldnt find much info on the same.

can someone please guide me in the right direction.

Regards

Sebastan
Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

Hi Sebastan,

The stacking technology used in HP A-series (and some E-series) is called IRF (Intelligent Resillient Framework).

The 5500 series supports up to 9 switches in an IRF-stack.

Regards

Fredrik

---
CCIE Service Provider
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

sebastan
Occasional Advisor

Hi Fredik,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

buddy i have one more query about the port density. on te datasheet in shows there are 24 10/100/1000 copper ports and 4 dual personality SFP ports.

But when i am using the online configurator it shows 20 10/100/100 copper ports with 4 dual personality ports. but i go to add sfp ports in the configurator the port no. count starts from 25 to 28. it also states that using SFP port will disable the corresponding port.

Can some please help me out here.

can i use all the 24 10/100/1000 copper ports and still have 4 sfp ports for uplink on this switch.

please help me out  i am really stuck at this and not able to provide solution for my customer.

Regards

Sebastan