108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE 5130 (JG932A version) fan question

FlorianFR
Occasional Visitor

HPE 5130 (JG932A version) fan question

Hello there,

First, sorry for my english.

I've a question about the JG932A (5130 non POE 24p + 4sfp+). I love them because their very silent, and with only some 1gb links, the fan doesn't even spin, which is very nice on some site where the network bay is not far from some office.

Now, I'm interested in using 1sfp+ (so 10gb) in one unit to link it to our network distribution core. Do you know if adding that will make the fan spin ? On paper, yes It's 10gb, but SFP+ are pretty nice about power and heat disipation, so I'm not sure...

Thx for any information :)

Florian.

2 REPLIES 2
parnassus
Honored Contributor

I suspect that Fan thermal control (so Fan speed) is directly related to Switch CPU's load more than the number of SFP/SFP+ Transceivers that are really installed on th chassis (consider less than 0,8 Watt for each one)...at least for this Switch model.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
FlorianFR
Occasional Visitor

My guess was the fan was controlled by the thermal (which is linked to the cpu usage...) but yeah, on paper adding an SFP+ should change a lot of thing. And since it's only L2, I don't believe that even some 10gb burst speed would heavily impact the cpu... ?