Comware Based
1753781 Members
7568 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

HPE 5900 AF 10 gb ethernet connection to Dell S5212F using DAC cables

HPE 5900 AF 10 gb ethernet connection to Dell S5212F using DAC cables

We are trying to connect a HPE 5900 AF to Dell S5212F switch at 10 gb using custom made DACs. Each DAC is labled HP side and Dell Side. The vendor that made them assures me they are 100 % Dell and HPE Compatible. The ports on each switch are set for 10 gb full duplex.  When I view the HPE 5900 interface it shows the hardware as "Media type is stack wire, port hardware type is STACK_SFP_PLUS". I get no link between the two switches. Any body have any ideas?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
akg7
HPE Pro

Re: HPE 5900 AF 10 gb ethernet connection to Dell S5212F using DAC cables

Hello @Eric Hutchinson_2 ,

What is the sku# or Product number 'JXXXXX' on HPE side transceiver?

Can you share output of below commands:

display transceiver manuinfo interface  Ten-GigabitEthernet <interface number>
display transceiver diagnosis interface Ten-GigabitEtherne <interface number>

Thanks!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
Ivan_B
HPE Pro

Hi @Eric Hutchinson_2 !

For sure that DAC is not manufactured for HPE, I highly doubt it's got HPE branding on it. Officially supported DACs are:

HPE FlexNetwork X240 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 0.65m Direct Attach Copper Cable JD095C
HPE FlexNetwork X240 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 1.2m Direct Attach Copper Cable JD096C
HPE FlexNetwork X240 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 3m Direct Attach Copper Cable JD097C
HPE FlexNetwork X240 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 5m Direct Attach Copper Cable JG081C
HPE FlexNetwork X240 10G SFP+ SFP+ 7m Direct Attach Copper Cable JC784C

For Dell compatible DACs are DAC-SFP-10G-xM (available as 0.5, 1, 2, 3, 5, 7 meters long). 

All kind of universal DACs are made by third party companies and questions about reliability and performance of their DACs should be addressed to the manufacturer.

In general when you connect different brands it's always better to use optical transceivers, only they allow you to use fully compatible transceiver on each side.

One hint: maybe that DAC has different sides, like HPE-side and Dell-side, check if you plugged correct side of the cable to correct switch.
Another hint: did you try to leave speed/duplex settings on 'auto' on both sides? Could you let me know the 5900AF exact model number, software version and the port number you use for this connection, so I can check if you don't hit some limitation with that DAC.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

I checked and there is no "Jxxxx" model on the HP side. And when I run the suggested commands I get

" The transceiver does not suppor this function"

I am guessing there is a compatability problem.