4868 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPE A5820 - max number of bridge agregation

eic63
Occasional Visitor

HPE A5820 - max number of bridge agregation

HI,

i need to configure a new bridge-agregation.

I see that on the model, it's limited to 128 Bridges, although on the A5900 series we can add 1024 bridges.

My question is: is this limited by the firmware and so improved by new firmware or is it the limitation of this model...

I don't succeed in finding this answer..

Thanks,

Y.

2 REPLIES 2
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: HPE A5820 - max number of bridge agregation

On both HPE 5820 and 5900, the aggregation groups limit described on available documentation seems to be related to their deployment into IRF:

• HPE 5820: an IRF fabric supports up to 128 aggregation groups and each group supports up to 8 selected ports.
  • HPE 5900: an IRF fabric supports up to 1024 aggregation groups, and each group supports up to 32 ports BUT if you look at its QuickSpecs/Datasheet you will find that a single HPE 5900 supports up to 128 (exactly like the 5820) aggregation groups and each group supports up to 16 selected ports.

So, in the end, even if neither HPE 5820's QuickSpecs nor HPE 5820's Datasheet mention the aggregation groups limit for a single switch (no IRF)...the supposed 128 aggegration groups limit for HPE 5820 seems the correct one when you consider just the single switch (would it be incorrect for the IRF case being so low in comparison with the 5900's aggregation group limit?).

For sure (Switch) CPU and memory have a direct relationship with above limits (and others too)...tell you exactly how direct that relationship is...is quite hard since, from time to time, some published numbers (limits) changes while CPU and memory remain the same (so the code is under continuous development and some optimizations can happen).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

Re: HPE A5820 - max number of bridge agregation

Parnassus is correct.  In an IRF configuration on the more featured switches, like the 5900 and Comware 7, you can have 1024 link aggregation groups... 1024/128 = 8... On the newer Comware releases you can have 8 units in an IRF stack.

Regards,

David

I work for HPE in Aruba Technical Support