New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE flexfabric 5700 - Remove configutaion from port

SOLVED
Go to solution
smsc_1
Regular Advisor

HPE flexfabric 5700 - Remove configutaion from port

Hello all,

this is my firt time with HPE flexfabric 5700. I'm migrating from old Cisco 3750 and configuring 2 HP5700 switches (IRF Stack). While I had no issue with IRF and other configuration, I'm getting crazy with stupid thing.

I would like to remove, from every port, the port link-mode bridge and the combo enable fiber present by default

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/2
port link-mode bridge
description SMS6-P2:Sa
port access vlan 911
combo enable fiber
speed 1000
duplex full
stp edged-port

I tried the simple commands

undo port link-mode

undo combo enable

I got no error, but the configuration are still there.

Could someone help me here? I have another couple of switches in other site, but configured by other people without this configuration and I haven't idea how they remove them,

Thank you

Lucas

./ Lucas
7 REPLIES 7
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hi!

With regard to combo enable the default should be combo enable copper, not fiber...so defaulting should happen when you set a (combo) logical interface with combo enable copper command at combo interface context level (I suspect no undo exists for this type of setting).

With regard to port link-mode { bridge | route } setting, to default an interface port link-mode you should use the undo port link-mode at interface context level...in any case default mode of operation should be bridge mode.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
smsc_1
Regular Advisor

Thank you for reply,

let me explain better the environment. I have 2 HPE flexfabric 5700 already in production and already configured by other people.

Now, I have to configure next site, with other 2 HPE 5700. Actually I can't use real HPE 5700 so to make experience in configuration I'm using H3C Cloud Lab. I configured IRF stack and VLAN without problem, also the single gig ports is ok, but if I compare the port configuration I got:

Switched already configured and in production:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
description CN01-ILO:Oa
port access vlan 7
speed 1000
duplex full
stp edged-port

Switches I'm configuring using H3C Cloud Lab

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
port link-mode bridge
description CN01-ILO:Oa
port access vlan 7
combo enable fiber
speed 100
duplex full
stp edged-port

So in the already configured switches there's no trace of port link-mode and combo enable fiber settings and honestly I donтАЩt know what they mean.

Maybe HCL emulator software is using another type of switch S5820V2, very similar to HPE 5700 but not properly the same, so confgiuration can't be removed at all. Am I wrong?

./ Lucas
parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi, I really don't know...I never used H3C Cloud Lab...so it easily could be a simulation software characteristic (not an issue per s├и)...indeed, to me, it looks unusual to see the combo mode cited/present on the very first Gigabit Ethernet physical interface (1/0/1) of an HPE 5700 and, honestly, I seriously doubt a real HPE 5700 iron has "combo" ports (typically combo ports are found on low-end models where, usually, a RJ45 Copper port and a SFP Slot share the same logical combined interface...and where the administrator probably has the freedom to chose if he/she want to enable the physical copper one or the physical fiber one). So...all in all...one thing is working on real equipment, one thing is working on a simulation of it expecting a 100% exact like-for-like behaviour...personally I would be cautious about that (especially if your goal is to perform a final copy and paste of H3C simulated running configuration into the real iron...I'm very old school...I prefer to manually do that on the device).

I'm not an HPE Employee
smsc_1
Regular Advisor

Thank you parnassus, I'm using the simulator only to make experience since, for now, I don't have physical access to HP5700. When I'll be able to connect to HP5700 I'll configure them from scratch for sure!

And yes, the configuration is present only on simulator where the switch model is a little bit different (HP5700 vs HP5820). In the "real" HP5700 I have no those settings on single port.

Then, however basing on my search, the combo setting can't be removed:

http://www.h3c.com.hk/Technical_Support___Documents/Technical_Documents/Routers/H3C_SR8800_Series_Routers/Command/Command/H3C_SR8800_CR-Release3347-6W103/02/201211/761685_1285_0.htm#_Toc317587122

Thank you for your timeanyway.

./ Lucas
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Are you sure about the real existence of combo command on HPE 5700's CLI?

I'm not an HPE Employee
smsc_1
Regular Advisor

Here is the "real" HP5700 (not emulated):

System image version: 7.1.045, Release 2422P01

[NET71-GigabitEthernet1/0/1]combo enable copper
                            ^
% Unrecognized command found at '^' position.

So definitely, there is no combo enable function on 5700, but it's present on HP58xx

./ Lucas
VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

It all depends on whether the module or switch has combo ports.  If it doesn't then the command will not be present.

I don't believe that 5700 have combo ports.

Regards,

David

I work for HPE in Aruba Technical Support