5108 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPe 5900AF Series and LACP Load Sharing Algorithms Layer3/4

NunukU
Occasional Visitor

HPe 5900AF Series and LACP Load Sharing Algorithms Layer3/4

Hi Folks,

is it really the case, the 5900af Switch series doesn't support Layer 4 Load sharing hash modes for LACP?

If yes, this would mean, that there is no chance, to distribute traffic for instance between two systems which are connected via LACP (each 4x 1GBe) to an bigger and spread IRF (via a 40GBe ring topology) as the TCP Source and Destination Ports were not used for the load sharing hash.

We have some systems, which opens many seperate connections to upload files via SCP / rsync, so in a non HP 5900af world we could use Linux Bonding with

xmit_hash_policy=layer3+4

and would see a good distribution over all links.

Is there a chance, that layer 4 load-sharing could ever be implemented?

Is there any information available like it is from for instance Juniper where I can see such details in an good overview, without reading hundreds of pages?

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos16.1/topics/concept/interfaces-hashing-lag-ecmp-understanding.html

Many Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: HPe 5900AF Series and LACP Load Sharing Algorithms Layer3/4

NunukU wrote: Is there any information available like it is from for instance Juniper where I can see such details in an good overview, without reading hundreds of pages?

AFAIK it's not necessary to read hundreds of pages, it's desiderable at least to read the right number of pages of the right configuration guide instead: have you read the "Configuring Ethernet link aggregation" Chapter (it starts at page 42 and it finishes at page 74, configuration examples included) that belongs to the HPE 5920 & 5900 Switch Series Layer 2 - LAN Switching Configuration Guide valid since Software Release R23xx?

I mean especially the "Load sharing modes for link aggregation groups" Paragraph written for Dynamic (LACP) Link Aggregation mode.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
NunukU
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

Yes I was ending in the "Layer 2 LAN Switching Configuration guide", but was starting in the Specs, and near any other guide.

Most vedors are placing such details in one doc so I was not sure if this is really all the switche is able to do.

I was still searching for a consolidated and detailed spec overview for the 5900 Series, which I have not really found by now.

So, to be on the save side: There is no L3+/4 load balancing for LAG's on the HP Comware OS - correct?

Many Greetings

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

I'm a bit puzzled - Parnassus has pointed out the relevant chapter to you - why not read it?

The version I am reading seems to have different page-numbering to his, but it took me about 30 seconds to find your question answered on pages 35 and 40.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Yep, thanks @Vince-Whirlwind.

I was referring to (March 2015, published for R23xx software version) HPE 5920 & 5900 Switch Series Layer 2 - LAN Switching Configuration Guide here: the "Configuring Ethernet link aggregation" Chapter begins at page 42.

There is another (January 2015, published for R2416) HPE 5920 & 5900 Switch Series Layer 2 - LAN Switching Configuration Guide here: the same Chapter begins instead at page 43...but, basically, the information provided is the same.

Probably we both thought about "Configuring load sharing criteria for link aggregation group" paragraph.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Mine is a much older copy:

HP 5920 & 5900 Switch Series
Layer 2 - LAN Switching
Configuration Guide
Part number: 5998-2893
Software version: Release2207
Document version: 6W100-20121130

Still, it answers the question.
I'll have to update my library....that means trying to find stuff on the HP website....

Tobias_IT
Occasional Visitor

You are a copy paste man.  That does not help.

Tobias_IT
Occasional Visitor

Why is so difficult to tell Yes, or Not.  Here is the information, not that does not exist..  HPE lack of that level of clarity when compared to Cisco.  I am looking for several days this information and I am not able to find any single reference that tells if this is possible and which Switch model is capable of doing L3/L4.

Matcol
Frequent Advisor

The clarity is 100% - the question's answer is comprehensively answered within the manual for the switch.

How could you not find "any single reference" when the switch's manual *exactly* answers your question?

Here is part of what it says:

In a link aggregation group, traffic can be load shared across the Selected ports based on any of the following modes:

тАв Per-flow load sharingтАФLoad shares traffic on a per-flow basis. The load sharing mode classifies packets into flows and forwards packets of the same flow on the same link. This mode can be one or any combination of the following criteria that classify traffic: {Source or destination MAC address. {Source or destination port number. {Ingress port. {Source or destination IP address.

тАвPacket type-based load sharingтАФLoad shares traffic automatically based on packet types (Layer 2, IPv4, or IPv6 for example).