Comware Based
1748112 Members
3469 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How do I extract the bin-files from the ipe-file ?

joelfred

How do I extract the bin-files from the ipe-file ?

Hi!

I have been tasked with upgrading the firmware on two 5920AF-switches configured for IRF. I did an upgrade in the past from R23xx to R2422 which went fine. But now that I need to upgrade to R2432P03 I have a problem, there is not enough space on the flash to store both the current firmware version (just the bin-files), the new .ipe file and the new bin-files. My two 5920AFs have 256MB flash, dir reports 258048 KB total with 171328 KB free. 2 times the R2432P03 fw is 173056 KB. The logfile is disabled and empty.

So my understanding is that I need to upgrade using the bin-files instead of the ipe-file, but how do I extract the bin-files from the ipe ?

I am not really comfortable removing the running version of the firmware until I have verified that the new version works.

/Joel

6 REPLIES 6
parnassus
Honored Contributor

joelfred wrote: ...But now that I need to upgrade to R2432P03 I have a problem, there is not enough space on the flash to store both the current firmware version (just the bin-files), the new .ipe file and the new bin-files. My two 5920AFs have 256MB flash, dir reports 258048 KB total with 171328 KB free. 2 times the R2432P03 fw is 173056 KB. The logfile is disabled and empty.

No other unecessary file that can be permanently deleted (not just trashed, so using the delete /unreserved CLI Command instead of the more common delete which admits the undelete) to free up less than 3 MBytes you need? can you post the output of dir (and dir slot2#flash/: to see Standby IRF Member's flash space status) CLI command?

So my understanding is that I need to upgrade using the bin-files instead of the ipe-file, but how do I extract the bin-files from the ipe ?

Good question.

Basically bin files and ipe file are the same thing from the point of view of the Switch operating system (the ipe file is a package that contain Boot ROM, boot and system bin files that are decompressed [**] - so it is a package that contain compressed files - by the Switch during the upgrade procedure...indeed you need at least two times the ipe file's size as flash free space because the flash needs to store the ipe file and both its decompressed content, the boot/system bin files)...AFAIK decompressing an ipe file is an operation that happen at Switch's operating system level...I'm not sure - just a personal guess - you can perform that externally (like unzipping a zipped archive) to obtain boot/system bin files separately for your convenience...but I could be wrong about that (and I don't have all the informations HPE has internally with that regard). Some Software are published on both forms: ipe plus separate bin files, other Software is published only as ipe file.

I am not really comfortable removing the running version of the firmware until I have verified that the new version works.

/Joel

Yeah, first of all you shall perform a Compatible ISSU on your IRF (see Release Notes and this HPE Knowledge Article)...and that is a good thing to start with...then...there should be a way to safely free up space [*] without exposing your IRF at any risk carried by a reboot.

[*] The statements are: "For the switch to start up correctly, do not delete the main startup software images when you free storage space before upgrading Boot ROM. On the Boot menu, the main startup software images are marked with an asterisk (*)." (files marked with an (*) are generally system.bin, boot.bin and startup.cfg) and "To avoid data loss, do not delete the current configuration file. For information about the current configuration file, use the display startup command.".

[**] not totally sure about that...IMHO the ipe file is just an archive (with a special format than should contain some Header information) used to safely transport bin files...so no real compression takes place, it's just a (de)archive operation performed by the Switch with Header check to validate ipe file contents.

A thought: why not using USB Stick to move back and forth current boot/system bin files (move them on USB, erase them from flash:/ and slot2#flash:/, free space should be available, transfer ipe file and decompress then, before any reboot - so you should answer "N" to the question "Upgrading software images to compatible versions. Continue? [Y/N]:" to avoid reboot after bin files were depackaged into slot2#flash:/ (remember that Standby IRF Member should reboot first in case of Compatible ISSU procedure) - doing things that way you can then remove ipe file (you have both new bin files on the slot2#flash:/ as you wanted) and finally move back from USB Stick the old system and boot bin files...once done perform reboot as requested.

A second thought: probably there is a second way to obtain bin files from the ipe file...using the boot-loader command, but you need to have, as usual, free space on a IRF Member to play with (brave men play against the free-space problem deleting actual bin files - they are in RAM, isn't it? - without rebooting).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

First, I would try resetting the recycle-bin in case there are files there taking up space.  from user mode in the CLI do a reset recycle-bin to ensure there is nothing there taking up space.

Even if you have a compatible update with ISSU, you still need space.  The Comware switches, don't usually have a lot of space to play with.  If you are tight on space, the only way to do the upgrade is to delete /unreserve the current BIN files to allow the .ipe to be copied and installed.  Once the install is complete, allow the procedure to delete the .ipe.

Deleting the current version will not prevent the switch from continuing to run.  I would install the new version immediately.

There isn't a supported way to unpack an .ipe file to get at the BIN files.  The boot-loader command wants to work with an .ipe file to get a new version installed.

Regards,

David

I work for HPE in Aruba Technical Support
Sk33t3r
Advisor

I was wondering:

Can I delete the .IPE package once the two (Bin) files have been extracted and loaded into the proper slot? Or do I have to have the .IPE file for each startup. For referenece I am on an MSR3012 DVPN Router.

Many Thanks in advance!

Chris

VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

It is perfectly safe to delete the IPE file after it is installed.  It is not used at startup.

David

Sk33t3r
Advisor

Preciate the answer. I noticed it said that right after I extracted the IPE file and set the startup and backup images that they recommend deletion of the aforementioned IPE file. Good to know because there were two other IPE files still on the storage part that I also went ahead and delete /unreserved them as well. Thanks a million!

VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

Sk33t3r,

You're very welcome!  Glad to help!

Regards,

David