4370 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to add 2 new units to a fabric?I need help please

muralla
Advisor

How to add 2 new units to a fabric?I need help please

Hi all,

I have a fabric formed by 4 units. Now i want to add 2 new units to the fabric.

I'm concerned because i have fear to the new units overwrite the config of the existing fabric.

Now the unit 1 its the master of the FTM and i want that this continues...

´-The new units have a forced Id upper than the other 4 units(unit 5 and unit 6).

-The new units has the same firmware and sysname than the existing fabric.

This its ok to connect it to the new fabric? I shutdown all the units, i connect the cascade ports and i reboot him?

Please can you help me to not have a fail and change the existing master and his current configuration?

How can i sure that the actual unit 1 remains the master of the fabric when i add the 2 new units and it not lost his

Thanks¡¡

4 REPLIES 4
muralla
Advisor

One of the new units have the lower mac of all the stack... It's possible that becomes the new master.

How can i to conserve the actual master unit?

vangass
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I've added new units to existing stack a few times but only using SFP ports (not cascade). I've just set the unit id to next one in stack, then set a "fabric-port" command and connected cable. The already running stack didn't had to reboot only the added one, after receiving configuration had rebooted. That's it. This has been done without any interruption

V.

muralla
Advisor

Yesterday i have add the 2 new units.

I've connect it to the fabric and i've power on it.

The 2 units he had the same version and the same name of the fabric. He has add to the fabrick without interruption and all works fine with the old configuration.

Maybe in the 3com Fabric he has not master in the stacks?? I can't find with its the master of the stack.

Thanks.

ISoliman
Super Advisor

Use the command "display irf"

the switch with the * next to it is the Master, note that when you add  a device to the IRF stack it won't interrupt the network nor replace the Master.