Comware Based
1751786 Members
4991 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to configure port mirroring when mirror port is on L3 and monitor port is on L2

SOLVED
Go to solution
ManishChawda
Frequent Advisor

How to configure port mirroring when mirror port is on L3 and monitor port is on L2

Hi,

I want to configure port monitoring such that mirror port is on L3 and monitor port is on L2. 

L3 is 5510 while L2 is 2530

Kindly guide for the same.

Regards,

Manish Chawda

5 REPLIES 5
Rajendra_Jena
HPE Pro

Re: How to configure port mirroring when mirror port is on L3 and monitor port is on L2

Hi Manish,

You can use remote port mirroring.

Remote port mirroring
In remote port mirroring, the following conditions exist:
тАв The source device is not directly connected to a data monitoring device.
тАв The source device copies mirrored packets to the destination device, which forwards them to
the data monitoring device.
тАв The mirroring sources and the mirroring destination reside on different devices and are in
different mirroring groups.

A remote source group or remote destination group is a mirroring group that contains the mirroring
sources or the mirroring destination, respectively. Intermediate devices are the devices between the
source devices and the destination device.
Remote port mirroring includes the following types:
тАв Layer 2 remote port mirroringтАФThe mirroring source and the mirroring destination are
located on different devices on a same Layer 2 network.
тАв Layer 3 remote port mirroringтАФThe mirroring source and the mirroring destination are
separated by IP networks.

Please see th attached screenshots for more information.

Layer 2 remote port mirroring.JPGLayer 3 remote port mirroring.JPG

Best Regards,
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

ManishChawda
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have 5510 from HPE i.e. L3 and 2530 from Aruba i.e purely L2. I tried the same scenario which you have mentioned earlier but 2530 Aruba does not support such commands. 

Kindly advise w.r.t HPE 5510 and Aruba 2530 L2 which can support the mentioned scenario.

Regards,

Manish Chawda

ManishChawda
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I want to monitor the data of port # 1 (trunk port) of HPE 5510 which is L3 and my monitoring device is connected to Aruba 2530 which is L2. 

HPE 5510 and Aruba 2530 are directly connected by trunk ports.

There is no intermediate device between the both switches. 

Regards,

Manish Chawda

Rajendra_Jena
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi Manish,

As both switch are running on different software its not possible for remote spanning. You have to use local port mirroring on 5510.

Best Regards,
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

ManishChawda
Frequent Advisor

OK!

Thanks