Comware Based
1752811 Members
6351 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Howto add a new member in IRF stack with Zero downtime ??

cPRABEL
Visitor

Howto add a new member in IRF stack with Zero downtime ??

Hi,

I'm quite new using HP switches (my knowledge is more on the C***O side) and i would like to add a new member in an IRF stack during working hours (so without imapcting the production)

The actual IRF stack is composed of 3 members in a Ring topology. All the priorities are set (master is priority 28, member 2 priotiry 24 and member 3 priority 20

The new member has the same firmware as the IRF stack

I searched a lot about the way to add a new member (without rebooting the all stack) but did not find the procedure ...

Does anybody could explain how to do that in details :

* What commands must be entered in the actual IRF stack ?

* What commands must be enterd int the new member (I assume i mus enter ifr member 1 renumber 4 and reboot, but is it enough?)

Thanks and regards

CP

2 REPLIES 2
Peter_Debruyne
Honored Contributor

Re: Howto add a new member in IRF stack with Zero downtime ??

Hi,

Example target setup:

existing irf 1/1 <> 2/2 ## 2/1 <> 3/2 ## 3/1 <> 1/2

new irf 1/1 <> 2/2 ## 2/1 <> 3/2 ## 3/1 <> 4/2 ## 4/1 <> 1/2

* prepare new unit (renumber 4, reboot, configure irf port 4/1 and 4/2 with physical member ports, undo shut, activate irf configuration, configure low prio (default is 1, which is lowest) ,save config)

* existing irf system: break current ring topology, shutdown e.g. links between members 3 and 1

Example: suppose existing irf 1/1 <> 2/2 ## 2/1 <> 3/2 ## 3/1 <> 1/2

Note physical ports used for 3/1 and 1/2. Shutdown these ports.

Exising irf operates as daisy chain now.

* existing irf system: verify prio of current master (display irf), make sure it is higher than the new joining system

* connect physical ring topology, make sure correct irf logical and physical ports are used.

Physical ports of 3/1 must connect to physical ports of 4/2

Physical ports of 1/2 must connect to physical ports of 4/1

* existing irf : enable the physical ports (undo shutdown). This will start irf hello on the links, 2 masters will be seen, prio will decide on winner, new member will reboot and join irf.

* after reboot, configure the new user-int aux/con 3 (new for member 4) and save config

best regards,Peter

cPRABEL
Visitor

Re: Howto add a new member in IRF stack with Zero downtime ??

Thank you Peter