1752687 Members
5353 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: IRF 2 on A7500

daperzoid
Occasional Visitor

IRF 2 on A7500

Hi, I have the following doubt: If I form an IRF2 group with my 2 A7500 switches, each with dual engines, will I still have 48Gbps per slot?.

Cheers,

Dan

15 REPLIES 15
Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Im pretty sure that both fabrics will be active on both your switches in the IRF, though I cannot find any reference at this point.

Regards,

Fredrik

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

daperzoid
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your answer mate. So, with this implementation do we have a stateful failover?. Since sessions are splitted between all 4 fabrics, if one fabric all session that were using that fabric will have to be restablished right?. And how will load sharing between both chassis work in this situation, were one chassis will have only half of the switching capacity?. These questions are very important for data center deployments and customers are concerned about it.

Cheers,

Dan

manuel.bitzi
Trusted Contributor

Hi daperzoid

May I can help you a bit.

The usual traffic dont goes through the fabrics all the time. the fabrics i.e. calculates routing and switching tables and writes it to the blades. then the blades can decide be themself where to route or switch the traffic to. i.e. they can send the traffic directly from one port to an other without contacting the fabric, they usally search the fastest way.

only one fabric calculates. the others are standby and sync the calculated datas with the master. if the master fails, a new master is elected and continous the calculation.

all chasis and blades will habe there full switching capacity

If you habe more questions, please ask more specific. So I can give you a specific answer. :-)

br

Manuel

H3CSE, MASE Network Infrastructure [2011], Switzerland
SINDIBADE
Advisor

I have a question concerning the same subject. I will implement two switches A7506 using 2 switch fabrics through a 10Gbps ports on each. can they be used to form an IRF stack to aggregate the capacity of the four switch fabric?
can we distribuet link aggregation DLA between IRF stack with another XRN stack using E5500 GE?

regards

3Com VCX IP Telephony Solution Architect, CCNA, CCDA, CSE
HP AIS Network Infrastructure
manuel.bitzi
Trusted Contributor

@Sindibade

Yes to both questions.

2 Links between the IRF-Members are aggregated and recommanded => if one links is broken, there is no split brain.

DLA is a IRF interna lfeatures only. Für the E5500G, it's a normal LA-Link.

br

Manuel

H3CSE, MASE Network Infrastructure [2011], Switzerland
sindibade_1
Advisor

i assume that i can do LA on both 10GB port switch fabric on both switchs that can form 20Gbps IRF LA?

3Com VCX Enterprise Expert, 3Com Enterprise LAN Expert, HP AIS Network Infrastructure 2011, CCNA R&S, CCNA Voice, CCDA
Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

Yes you can.

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

sindibade_1
Advisor

thank you so much.

3Com VCX Enterprise Expert, 3Com Enterprise LAN Expert, HP AIS Network Infrastructure 2011, CCNA R&S, CCNA Voice, CCDA
sindibade_1
Advisor

Hello,

I have successfuly complete the basic IRF configuration on 2x A7506 switchs and i have succefuly create the virtual switch from both.

I need to know what is the best scenario to implete the MAD protection mecanisme suching that i will use a LA to connect all access switchs.

Is LACP MAD is necessary for this context?

IRF link is formed from 2 grouped TenGig XFP ports on both switchs.

best regards