3616 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: IRF Config

hniemann
Advisor

IRF Config

Hi!

we have two 5120 EL with CX4 Local Connect Modul in Slot1 and 10-GbE XFP Modul in Slot2 and now we would like add two more switches to the IRF Stack.

IRF config of the existing two switches:

Switch1 IRF-Port1 TGE 1/1/1 + 1/1/2 IRF-Port2 TGE 2/2/1 + 2/2/2

Switch2 IRF-Port2 TGE 2/1/1 + 2/1/2

when I try to add  IRF-Port1 with interface TGE 2/2/1 + 2/2/2 I get the error Message: The port bound to IRF-Port1 must be smaller than that of IRF-Port2!

Is this a Bug?

Do I have to swap the Modules an reconfigure the Switch?

Regards Heino

3 REPLIES 3
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

"when I try to add  IRF-Port1 with interface TGE 2/2/1 + 2/2/2 I get the error Message: The port bound to IRF-Port1 must be smaller than that of IRF-Port2!

Is this a Bug?"

No, it's a feature. IRF ports have to be configured very specifically. I don't know whether there is a good reason for it, or whether the developers were just lazy.

It's too early in the morning for me to figure it out exactly without a diagram but it's possible that you will have to swap modules around to end up with a new configuration that IRF will allow.

hniemann
Advisor

Hi Richard,

not what I want to hear but ok...  So I will plan a downtime to swap the modules an reconfigure the IRF :(

Regards

Heino

MDella
Advisor

So having played with IRF quite a bit, getting more than two switches to work took a little work, but it was do-able. The issues is taking a piece of paper and drawing out the cascaded connections.  Basically your going from 1->2 on down your stack until you get to the end where it loops back to the first one...

Look at this posting elsewhere to get a better idea.  Look at the picture first as that basically outlines what your trying to accomplish.