HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
Comware Based
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRF Ports for 5920 and 5900

aali
Frequent Advisor

IRF Ports for 5920 and 5900

is it true that Each ASIC covers 4 10GB ports and if I use ports 1 and 2 for IRF, I can't use ports 3 and 4 for anything other than IRF?  In that case it is better to use all 4 ports for IRF.

3 REPLIES
Peter_Debruyne
Honored Contributor

Re: IRF Ports for 5920 and 5900

As far as I know, there is 1 big fat 1.2Tb chip in the 5900 (Broadcom Trident I believe), so I would be curious to the source of that information.

Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor

No, but I have only used the 40Gb ports on the 5900 for IRF, so I can't say I have tested linking 5900s with 10Gb ports for IRF. For the 5920, you should be able to use any 10Gb port for IRF, without worrying about ASIC groups. I certainly haven't read anything about those sorts of restrictions.

For some of the older, lower end fixed port switches with 10Gb modules, there were restrictions (eg spanning IRF across modules). There are some requirements for MDC In Comware 7 (only the 12500 at present) that take ASIC port groupings into account - maybe that was what you were thinking of?
Holger Hasenaug
Trusted Contributor

Have a look at the Installation Guide

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03189333/c03189333.pdf

Follow these guidelines when you identify SFP+ ports to be used for IRF connections:

 The SFP+ ports are grouped by port number in ascending order, starting from one. Every four SFP+ ports form one group.

 An SFP+ port can be bound to an IRF port or operate as a service port. When an SFP+ port is bound to an IRF port, other SFP+ ports in the same port group cannot be used as service ports, and vice versa.

A common practice is to use one SFP+ port group for IRF connections, and bind every twoSFP+ports in the group to an IRF port for increasedbandwidth and availability.