5296 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

IRF stacking: 4800G with Gbit slots

excelsio
Occasional Advisor

IRF stacking: 4800G with Gbit slots

Hi,

I´m planning to use stacked 4800G. So, with IRF I want to setup a ring of 8x 4800G devices.

Do I need those 10Gbit/s CX4 cables for creating that stack? Or can I use those normal 1 Gbit/s slots for it? So, creating a 1 Gbit/s "stacking ring"? What about using a kind of LACP ring with 2 Gbit/s slots?

thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
john.veness
Occasional Contributor

Re: IRF stacking: 4800G with Gbit slots

You need the 10G modules in the rear and the suitable cables for doing IRF - you can't use front panel 1G sockets.

excelsio
Occasional Advisor

Really? That´s sad. I purchased some 2928 Baseline Plus which can do IRF over normal Gbit slots. So I thought, the 4800G ones could do this, too?

Fred_Mancen_1
Super Advisor

I think that you are a little bit confused with the IRF feature and the Baseline capabilities. The Baseline does not support IRF, as no other stacking feature. The 4800G does support stacking using IRF feature when connected through the CX4 10G ports. The switches that supports stacking using the 1G frontal ports are the 4500 and 5500. All the others models (4200G, 4210, 4500G) does support a "cluster-like" stacking.

If your intention is to create a network with a ring topology, and connect the 4800G switches using the 1G ports, the feature that you need to enable is the RRPP (Rapid Ring Protection Protocol).

Regards.

Regards,
Fred Mancen