4928 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: IRF with mixed switches

kayalan
Occasional Visitor

IRF with mixed switches

Hi,

I would like to know if is supported a mix stacking between switches models 5120 (discontinued) and 5130, using IRF.

I could not find any useful document regarding this. 

If is supported, what do I need to be aware of this kind of connectivity.

Another point. If any document available regarding this, please share ...

tks in advance ...

regards

6 REPLIES 6
parnassus
Honored Contributor

The question is: do 5120 and 5130 Switch series support the "Heterogeneous IRF" feature? ...like, as examples, 5820X with 5800 and 5920 with 5900 (there could be a relationship - a "necessary but not sufficient" condition - with Comware 7).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
J-Christophe
Advisor

Hi,

The answer is definitely, no. 5120 are running "Comware 5" and 5130 are running "Comware 7". Also, IRF port have changed between 5120 & 5130.

Jean-Christophe

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Worth also to note that HPE FlexNetwork 5130 EI Switch Series IRF Configuration Guide specifies that "An HPE FlexNetwork 5130 EI switch can form an IRF fabric only with devices in the same series."...

J-Christophe wrote: Also, IRF port have changed between 5120 & 5130.

What do you exactly mean with "port have changed"? Are you referring to (type of) physical ports admitted by the IRF Port?

If I remember correctly the 5120 EI supports HP A5120-EI 2p 10-GbE SFP+ Module just to deploy IRF, not necessarily and only CX4, so it shouldn't be really an issue of which physical ports is used for the IRF Port, indeed it's a restriction related to Comware 5 versus Comware 7.

I'm not an HPE Employee
J-Christophe
Advisor

Yep, you're correct. I thought A5120 only support CX4 connections.

Jean-Christophe

rajesh_mahan

Hello..

Is 5130 - EI and 5130 - HI Series can be of same IRF stack??? as they are of same series...

parnassus
Honored Contributor

IIRC No: they don't belong to the same Switch Series despite they both run a Comware 7 based NOS (but run different software lines providing slightly different features).

So you can build an IRF using either 5130 EI Switch or 5130 HI Switch, not mixing them together.

I'm not an HPE Employee