5829 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Internet load balancing

AliAmin
Frequent Visitor

Internet load balancing

Dear All,

I am working in a company where we have two internet dsl routers connected to "3Com Baseline Switch 2928-PWR Plus " in the head office, we are connecting the branches to this switch using for each branch. However, I need to get internet using both routers since if one router fails the users would not notice that.

Can you help me please. 

6 REPLIES 6
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Add a second default route on the 3COM switch pointing at the 2nd internet router, but make this route have a higher preference value so that it only gets used if the first router is off/disconnected.

The 2928 can't do tracking so if you have an upstream fault affecting connectivity via Router#1, you would have to disable your connection to Router#1 manually to get it to fail over to Router#2

AliAmin
Frequent Visitor

Thank you Vince-Whirlwind  for your reply. I have added the second router to the routing table with higher Preference, but the switch where unable to detect internet failure. Is there any solution instead of changing the routing table manually. 

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

What do you mean "internet failure"?

The link to Router#1 needs to go down for the route to Router#2 to become active.

AliAmin
Frequent Visitor

I need to make use of two things:

1. load balancing of two routers without using load balancer, that will increase internet speed in my company.

2. internet redundancy, if internet had disconnected on one router the other would continue servicing.

Thank you in advance.

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

1. not possible unless you separate your internal network hosts into 2 subnets and assign each subnet a different default gateway. 

2. you are limited by the hardware you have to the method I previously described.

AliAmin
Frequent Visitor

Thank you Vince-Whirlwind, I am using DHCP splitted scope, which balance load on both routers, each scope distribute 50% of IP addresses with a different gateway. as You said, It is hardware limitation.