Comware Based
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to upgrade an IRF of two HPE A5120 through web interface?

jmarti-gemalto
Occasional Contributor

Is it possible to upgrade an IRF of two HPE A5120 through web interface?

Hello All,

I've tried to find information on different configuration guide, and I didn't succeed to find information.

Is it possible through web interface to upgrade each member of the two members irf ( HPE A5120-24G SI) with a new version of software?

Is it possible to reboot each member one after the other in order to have minimum impact to  the production?

Best regards.

JL MARTI

1 REPLY
VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

Re: Is it possible to upgrade an IRF of two HPE A5120 through web interface?

JMarti,

IRF turns connected switches into a single virtual switch.  There are two ways to upgrade them:

1) Install the new version on each member and then reboot the stack.

2) It may be possible to do an ISSU upgrade.  That is a minimal downtime upgrade process.  Not all versions or switch platforms support it.  You should check the release notes to see what the ISSU statement says.  I haven't looked in a while.

The important thing is that any device that can be dual-homed, has 2 network interfaces, should have each one on a different switch in the IRF stack.  You would do dynamic link aggregation with LACP to make the end system look like it has a single uplink, if it has that support.  That will prevent you from losing the network from a reboot.

If ISSU is not an option, there are some manual ways to simulate it.  It is a process though.  Depending on how many switches you have in the stack, it might be faster to just reboot the stack into the new version.  Assuming, of course, you could tolerate a relatively short network outage.

David