Comware Based
1752647 Members
5824 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: JG923A doesn't have the dhcp client?

SOLVED
Go to solution
grenzo
Frequent Advisor

JG923A doesn't have the dhcp client?

Hi,

I have connected a network cable which provides the IP address via DHCP server but the JG923A switch does not take any IP. Maybe this model doesn't have the DHCP client?

Other ?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Ivan_B
HPE Pro

grenzo
Frequent Advisor

Ok,

but it does not get the IP from the DHCP server. What can I check?

Thanks

Ivan_B
HPE Pro

I'd start with the document I referenced in my last message, page 35, section "Configuring management IP address" If you don't use that wizard for initial configuration, then Page 142, "Modifying a VLAN interface". Check if Vlan-interface which needs to get dynamic IP is set to DHCP.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

grenzo
Frequent Advisor

ok but if I don't know the IP address how can I connect in GUI? Should I assign IP via CLI? Sorry but I'm not very experienced

Thanks

Ivan_B
HPE Pro
Solution

No worries, it's not a problem that you don't have much of experience. That you will gain, but you need to read documentation first. Connect to the console port to your switch, login as 'admin'. By default the password is empty.

Then check the document I've provided, page 6, "Logging in to the Web interface". I assume your switch as at factory defaults. What you need to do is to check what is the current setting of the default management interface, VLAN 1. Use 'summary' command. You will see the output similar to this:

<Sysname> summary 
Select menu option:  Summary 
IP Method: DHCP 
IP address: 169.254.1.2 
Subnet mask:  255.255.0.0 
Default gateway:  0.0.0.0 
<Omitted>

If 'IP Method' is DHCP, then connect a network cable to port 1, for example. Another end of this cable connect to the network device that is DHCP server. Wait a minute. If IP address in the output is 169.254.x.x it means there is no DHCP server in your network and the switch assigned this autoconfiguration IP to itself. This is not what you want in general, so troubleshoot your DHCP server why it doesn't provide IP addresses. If IP address is valid (anything else than 169.254.x.x) you got the IP, bingo. Now you can try HTTP connetion to the switch.

If you want to assign IP address statically, or the IP has been set statically, but you want to change it to DHCP, use the same guide, page 30. The command you need is 'ipsetup'

If any doubts about configuration on the switch, just reset it to factory defaults by 'initialize' command in the same CLI

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo