1752565 Members
5807 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LACP and display arp

L1nklight
Valued Contributor

LACP and display arp

I have a pair of A5800s configured in an IRF stack and i've built a bridge-aggregate group to a pair of A5120s in an IRF stack. The bridge-aggregate group is trunked carrying a few key VLANs from the 5800 stack to the 5120 stack. I am having a tough time wrapping my head around it, but for some reason, I cannot get arp statistics on the 5120 (workstation) stack as things stand right now. I am used to being able to do "display arp" and seeing the individual mac addresses, ip addresses, and ports the two are found on. Everything else seems to be working okay. I am not even sure it's related to LACP. 

What am I missing here?

3 REPLIES 3
Pete W
Valued Contributor

L1nklight,

Under normal conditions, you will not get ARP stats from an access (L2) switch, only a switch actively involved in routing (L3). This is because an access switch does not usually need to resolve any L3<->L2 addresses, as it only forwards frames based on their L2 destination headers.

Hope this helps. If you are unsure then provide more details I may be able to refine the answer. :)

Regards,

Pete

EricAtHP
Esteemed Contributor

Pete is right. You will only see ARP entries for devices that are communicating with the 5120. The mac table will be populated: "display mac-address" to see which mac address is associated with which port.

L1nklight
Valued Contributor

It did help. I needed to add an interface for the vlan I wanted get the ip/port information for. Your comment made me realize that there is no way for the switch to populate the information if it doesn't have a native interface.