New Discussion юеВ

Re: LACP vs Link Aggregation

SOLVED
Go to solution
WessexOne
Occasional Contributor

LACP vs Link Aggregation

Hi All,

My understanding is that LACP and link aggregation are one and the same thing - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_Aggregation_Control_Protocol

However, I'm looking at the web interface on a couple of A5120 HP Switches and, under networking, there is a page for setting up LACP and a page for setting up Link Aggregation. I interpret this as saying there is a fundamental difference between LACP and Link Aggergation on HP switches. This confuses me as it seems to contradict what I'm reading elsewhere.

1) Can anyone enlighten me as to what this difference is between LACP and Link Aggregation?

2) What is the difference between link aggregation and bridge aggregation? (The HP manuals refer to both but I still don't understand the difference).

Many thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
paulgear
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Hi WessexOne,

I'm not familiar with the Comware web interface (it's one of the things that gets turned off in my initial setup procedure ;-), but i'd assume the difference is to distinguish between static link aggregation and LACP-based link aggregation, which allows ports to be added and removed dynamically.

Bridge aggregation is the just name that link aggregation is given on the Comware platform.

I very much wish HP would standardise the terminology used for this across the board, because - as you've found - it's very confusing.
Regards,
Paul
WessexOne
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response Paul.

So, it is possibel to create a static link aggregation without using LACP.

When you say LACP-based link aggregation allows ports to be added and removed dynamically, does that mean it that

LACP-based link aggregation does not allow static link aggregation or simply that LACP-based gives the administrator the choice of static vs dynamic?

WessexOne
Occasional Contributor

Ah, now I see. My reluctance to mess with the settings without knowing what I was doing was holding me back. The Link aggregations get setup under the "Link Aggregation tab". If, and only if, the link is marked as dynamic, then LACP is enabled and the link appears in the LACP tab. i.e. THe LACP tab is only for dynamic aggregate links and not static ones. Many thanks Paul.

paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Glad to hear you got it worked out!

Regards,
Paul