1753522 Members
10096 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LRM transceivers on 5130-EI

Pete W
Valued Contributor

LRM transceivers on 5130-EI

I know that the LRM transceiver is not officially supported on the 5130-EI, however does anyone have any experiences of using this combination and it either working or not working? I've read some posts where people say that is has worked, but I'd like a bit more info before committing to a purchase. 

I'm in a position where a number of 5130-EIs are already installed, and 100m+ OM1 fibre is all that I have access to.

Regards,,

Pete W

3 REPLIES 3
VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

Pete,

Please take a look at the attached QuickSpec for the 5130 EI.  There are a number of long range transceivers that are supported by the switch.  If you use an uncertified transceiver, you will likely get the warning that the transceiver is not recognized and HPE is not responsible if it doesn't work.

Regards,

David

I work for HPE in Aruba Technical Support
Pete W
Valued Contributor

David,

LRM is not an LR based transceiver. It is a 1310 nm laser based SFP+ transceiver, specifically used for providing 10GbE connectivity up to 220m over legacy multimode fibre (OM1/OM2).

I've read (below) that HP do not officially support the LRM as the 5130-EI';s underlying ASIC/PHY combination is cheap, and does not support LRM. 

HP 5130 SFP+ 10Gbase-LRM support

However I've also read that it works ok (although unsupported).

Regards,

Pete

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Also, if working with HP support, make sure you remove the unsupported transceiver before doing a show tech or anything like that, or HP support will get distracted by your LRM trancseiver.