New Discussion юеВ

Re: Link Aggregation Load-Sharing Mode

SOLVED
Go to solution
xcver70
Occasional Advisor

Link Aggregation Load-Sharing Mode

Hi all,

i have a question on LAG Load Sharing. In the docs of the 59XX switches (in particular i refer to 5900AF) it says we have Per-flow and Packet type-based load-sharing available, and the Packet type-based is the default mode. It is explained as

"Load shares traffic automatically based on packet types (Layer 2, IPv4, or IPv6 for example)."

I can easily imagine that Per-flow leads to even distribution among selected ports when we have enough address pairs on both sides. But how about the Packet type-based distribution? Does it mean that IPv4 packets all use the same selected port?? That wouldn't be a good idea i guess as most traffic in our customer's networks is still IPv4. In this case i would always recommend to change to Per-flow load-sharing. Has anybody experience with that and can explain how Packet type-based load-sharing works?

Best regards

Frank.

4 REPLIES 4
network_king
HPE Pro

Hello,

Thanks for posting your query.!

I could see what you are seeking is explained already on layer 2 configuration guide. Let me know if this is of help.

Capture.JPG

Ref: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5408937&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c04566742

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

xcver70
Occasional Advisor

Thanks you for your answer. However i already knew this - my question is what "Packet type-based Loadsharing" actually means and THIS is not explained in the guide. I know that Loadsharing over Trunks when using Aruba Switches always uses adresses to calculate the outbound port and i can imagine this leads to an even distribution among the ports when enough adresses come into play. But how does the default Packet type-based Loadsharing guarantee an even distribution when nearly all of my customer networks use 99% IPv4? Doesn't that mean that when you have 4 Links in a Bridge-Aggregation all traffic uses the same selected port? That wouldn't be a good idea i guess so i can't imagine that this really is the way it works. However, if that's the case i would always recommend my customers to change the mode to address-based Loadsharing. Cheers F.

pombeii
Frequent Advisor
Solution

@xcver70:

Sorry, the description is misleading.  It should be "automatic load sharing: The system automatically selects a loading sharing mode depending on the packet type. For example, the load sharing mode differs between IPv4 packets and Layer 2 packets." As this is is the default behavior, you only need to change it if the default does not address your requirement.

Pombeii 

xcver70
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your clarification Pombeii, now i think i understood. The switch looks in the frame if there are only L2-, IPv4 or IPv6 adresses and uses available address information to choose the Load Sharing. Perfect!